Handicapped parking, need to vent!

-

Denvermike

Reaction score
A little background:
Five years ago I some how got a BAD lung infection. As a result I have lost 80% of my lung function. As you can figure, I am on O2 all the time and am disabled . Walking is not one of my favs right now.
To vent:
A while back, I went to the office (I still a few days a month) and found a USPS Van in the handicapped parking spot. I parked down the way a bit and walked back. You got it. Just as I reached the van the "mail person" came out. I thanked them for parking where they did. They said that is OK I done you can park here.
The next one happened at a Safeway. I pulled in to the HP spot and saw a delivery truck for an oxygen company (not mine) in the HP spot next to me. This one really pi--ed me off. I copied the name, phone number, and truck number. I called and reported the problem. As I started to describe the driver, the guy at the O2 company said yea I know who is was. The tone in his voice told me I would not want to be that driver latter that day.
At 7:30 AM today, I stopped at a 7-11 on the way to the office for a cup of joe. In the only HP spot sat a Red Bull delivery truck.
I am not looking for pity. I know a lot of you also have physical and or health issues. I just can not understand way people do crap like this.!!
Thanks for letting me get it out.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Mike

It happens all the time in NC then I moved to OK and the same thing. I have a powerwheel. It's such a low priority that the police will not enforce it.

I under stand what your saying . It pisses me off to no end . See both my knees are shot . but i can walk good enough to walk from the far end of a parking lot . If i can some little punk can that aint hurt one bit sure can ....... Ive been knew to move my truck for some one that was Handicapped and all the spots was takin up and i had a closer spot then them . . I Just cant stand when peps that dont need a Handicapped spot park in them .

It happens all the time in NC then I moved to OK and the same thing. I have a powerwheel. It's such a low priority that the police will not enforce it.
It boils down too cliff thay have no respect for any one . Lazy what ever you want to call it .... This threads done got me fired up lol

It boils down too cliff thay have no respect for any one . Lazy what ever you want to call it .... This threads done got me fired up lol

Did you light a cigarette by breathing on it again?

Mike you MUST fight back. It's bad enough when some unknown private individual parks in a spot but there is NO excuse for a business truck. YOU NEED to complain, loud and clear. FIND OUT who the enforcement agency is that handles this. If necessary, carry a camera with you, take photos of the truck, the license and the driver.

RAISE HELL with the business. Make it CLEAR you will not tolerate people parking in their lot in handicap zones. If not specifically, it is at least morally part of their responsibility to make sure their parking lot ----which they either lease or own--- is safe for fire zones, traffic hazards, and so on.

I will flat guarantee you that USPS "the company" will not tolerate their drivers using or blocking handicap parking areas.

In this area if you insist, and sometimes you must............the police WILL ticket the offender.

there is no excuse .....after I was in my accident years ago I needed to get close to the stores but now that I can walk and I walk miles a day ...there is no excuse to park close even in non-HP space.....now I usually park in the far spaces and walk up.

im with you guys and nothing is more irritating than someone parking in HP spaces for the sole purpose of being lazy.

able bodied people are really cheating themselves by being lazy, we dont know what tomorrow will bring and they may not be able to walk tomorrow so might as well enjoy it if you can and while you can....after I was in my accident and could not walk straight for awhile.....I swore that if I could heal up I would never take it for granted.

I say simply lazy I use to work in a grocery store and see the types of people who circle around for the closest spots possible. They act as though a walk would kill them.

I prefer parking farthest from the store. Hopefully so no a-wipe with mark the car i'm driving.

It's heavily cited here in cortez. $250 fine. No ifs, ands, or but's.

That is the standard fine from state to state. NC is a $500.00 and it still doesn't stop people. It's enforcement that will put a stop it.

I would just park behind them and block them in and keep your HC tag visible. What are they going to do call the police or tow truck? I would make it a point to create discomfort for them breaking the law.

able bodied people are really cheating themselves by being lazy, we dont know what tomorrow will bring and they may not be able to walk tomorrow .

Boy, Rani, sometimes your insight amazes me

you guys don't think they should be allowed to park their company trucks in a handicapped spot ?
I mean, they are obviously retarded

That is the standard fine from state to state. NC is a $500.00 and it still doesn't stop people. It's enforcement that will put a stop it.
cortez actually has 2 officers that patrol parking lots, and other areas of parking just for this. In the past, parking your car used to be super risky. Cars were constantly being broke in to and stolen and since the Mesa verde is a big time tourist attraction they thought it would be a good idea to finally crack down and take care of business. Now days, you can actually go in to the store without locking your car or taking the keys with you without worrying yourself grey over it. Believe it or not, they do pay attention to your hp permits to make sure you have one.

cortez actually has 2 officers that patrol parking lots, and other areas of parking just for this. In the past, parking your car used to be super risky. Cars were constantly being broke in to and stolen and since the Mesa verde is a big time tourist attraction they thought it would be a good idea to finally crack down and take care of business. Now days, you can actually go in to the store without locking your car or taking the keys with you without worrying yourself grey over it. Believe it or not, they do pay attention to your hp permits to make sure you have one.

That is great but you have to understand that 99.5% doesn't enforce the HP parking laws.

That is great but you have to understand that 99.5% doesn't enforce the HP parking laws.
I understand that. My statement certainly doesn't contradict that. I simply pointed out that one town actually gives a damn enough to crack down and why.

Now you know that I deal with this everyday when I'm driving nella somewhere in her van. In one I stance we went to the bank and parked the van in the last handicap spot right by the zebra zone where the ramp starts and went in. When we came out there was a car parked right in the zebra zone about 6" from the side lift door of our van where nella is loaded. Now, this car had a handicap hang tag, so I had to have nella wait on the sidewalk until I backed out and parked behind this car, blocking the main aisle and trapping him in. Then I loaded nella up and waited to the driver to come out. Sure enough he came toddling out and saw I was behind him, so I let him have it with both barrels, scolding him for knowing better but ignoring common sense!!

Trouble is, there was a row of handicap spots in the rear parking lot right up by the door for ambulatory handicappers!!! I'm fed up with dealing with this kind of thing all the time and will go out of my way to educate the offender, in my own special way of course!! Geof

My mom cannot walk far distances. When I take her shopping, she wants to bring her handicapped tag, I tell her to leave it at home. I have to pull up to the front doors and fetch a "buggy" for her to scoot around with, and then get her loaded onto the buggy. Then I go find a regular parking spot and then go in and try to find where she has scooted of to by now. Then when she's done shopping, I have her wait by the front door with the scooter while I go pulll the car up to the doors to get her loaded.

I am not handicapped and I don't feel right parking in their spots. Even if I have my mom with me.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOSgRSlm-YA"]Jeff Dunham and Walter- Parking - YouTube[/ame]

Check this out. A 65 year old guy and a 64 year old guy fight over the handicapped spot...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBIhv4WHTws"]64 Year Old Man Died After Fight Over Parking In Bedfordshire - YouTube[/ame]

My biggest concern is always that Nella is in a seated position and can't be seen over the hood of a lot of vehicles, and is in danger of being hit by a driver not paying attention if she has to drive through the parking lot!!

I would feel bad saying it other than krazykuda's video but we tend to judge people based on appearances. And many people don't appear to need handicapped parking.
I know that's not the case. But who could honestly say that many people are not taking advantage of they system? That has to breed resentment and callousness.
And obviously, unfortunately, it can hurt the truly needy.
Some people that use handicapped parking really could use the exercise.

Oh, and at last count, I think my Lowe's has 240 handicapped parking spaces. Hum, what causes this?

Yes it sucks big time as all delivery drivers are handicap and can park there.In front of my parts store we get so many people parking in front pf our store to go to the fitness center.Why go if you have to park in a HC spot.

-
Back