Harbor Freight drill press?

-
The stuff from Harbor Freight is CHEAP STUFF! You get what you pay for.You would be better to go to Sears or search around for an older drill press! I admit I have purchased some things from Harbor Freight but I won't buy anymore tools from them! Better to spend a few more bucks for better grade merchandise!

Bobby

i recently spent quite a bit of time looking for a drill press. What you are planning to do with it and how much you want to do that is what you need to look at. I have a Harbor freight drill press my neighbor bought and gave to me (??) It doesn't have enough torque to make a good cut without stalling. If you drilling light plastic or luan it fine, but try to drill a 1/2 bit into a piece of 1/4 inch steel or wood for that matter, forget it. I was going to buy one at Sears, even paid for it, but there was an "inventory error" (a cheap shot at trying to upsell I think), so I ended up at Grizzly. Some of their stuff is also on the low end, but I've found if you buy into the upper end you get a good tool.
So would I buy a Harbor Freight power tool? No, I would and did do without a drill press until I was able to spend a little money and get a good piece of equipment. I do, however, use it for my car hobby but also a tool in my business.
Look around and I would say get concerned on the horsepower rating and just as with your Mopar buy as much hp as you can afford.

it seems all of these are made in the same factory in china
the different companys have different colors
harbor freight grizzy etc
i would look into a delta
mike

You get what you pay for......

I have a Harbor Freight Drill Press/Mill. It is a big heavy brute (~325 lbs). It takes me and my 2 teenage sons to move the dam thing. Think I paid about $450 (on sale) for it a few years back. It is a tool that I use only occasionally, but it has worked fine and I have no doubt it will continue to last for a long time yet. I have many Harbor Freight hand tools that I also have no issues with.

But some of the tools that do get used a lot in my home, like all my power hand tools and air tools... I would never even think to buy one of the H.F. brand tools. Their stuff is generally much lower quality than comparable say..Craftsmen - but also a hell of a lot cheaper.

If your drill press is something that might only get used occasionally, the H.F. it might suffice. Tell you what, no $59.00 drill press is going to be a high quality, lasting tool. I don't care what brand it is. If you want higher quality, you will have to pay for it. My 2 cents

Some of the import stuff is getting better. Jet manufactures all of their own equipment and is a prime example. Enco and Grizzly also contract to have their machines built overseas. Grizzly is a high enough volume that they now design many of their machines and work with a select group of manufacturers. Enco does a similar thing by only buying from a select few suppliers. Harbor Freight on the other hand just buys inventory off the market and slaps their name on it. In many cases their machines are knock-offs of a 20 year old Jet. That being said, you get what you pay for, and cheap machines are going to be cheaply made (this extends to materials and design and not just child slave labor).

I won't say I have never bought anything at Harbor Freight, nor will I pledge to never do so in the future, but as a rule I try to avoid them. A used American made machine could probably be had locally for similar money, work at least as well, and not contribute to our national trade defecit.

i had on just like that fine for drilling wood or thin metal no more than 1/2 inch if that ...i would look into a larger one and brand name but up to u i was realy dissapointed in mine ,junked it spent 500$ on a good one never looked back

I got that exact same drill press about 6 years ago and it has worked fine for me. I use it alot, fabbing up all kinds of stuff for my various projects. You just need to keep the belt tight and adjust the speed down for heavier work. No complaints. Best bang for the buck, IMHO.

I Have that Press, but I got it on sale for $40 a few months ago. No complaints, yes it is cheap, but worht the moeny, I only use it occasionally, but I alway use lubricant on anything I drill, because I have high quality drill bits and I keep them that way. I just bought a 6" vice at Harbor freight a few hours ago for $40. Harbor is good for some stuff, But the stuff that I use a lot is all Craftsman. Between the two stores I probably spent $2K in the last 10 months.

I think the first step is admitting you have a problem...

Hello, my name is Mark, and I AM a "tool-aholic."

I have $40 dollar harbor freight press too. It's bench mounted. Works great. I use good drill bits and lots of cutting oil.

Greg

440duster said:
I have $40 dollar harbor freight press too. It's bench mounted. Works great. I use good drill bits and lots of cutting oil.

Greg

I know a guy named Bernd from Pflugerville.

-
Back