Hard starting after sitting for 5 months

-

aengineguy

Reaction score
I started the Dart yesterday, but it took a lonnnnggggg time to start. Wondering if the older 93 octane gas contributed to the difficulty. Here's the details....

Sitting in garage with temps going from 30 degrees to 60 degrees for the past 5 months
Holley HP 750 (no choke) (I may switch to an 870 with a choke later this year)
Fuel pressure about 6.5 when starting
Pretty radical 408 with 10.6 compression around .614 lift and 256 @ .050.
Fully charged battery
Complete Mallory ignition and Hyfire
Garage is dry and not damp
No sweating on the plug wires
Temperature when I tried it about 55 degrees

After finally starting I let it warm up for about 15 minutes to get up to temp and fully charge the battery. Shut off and started immediately, just like normal.

The fuel in the cell is getting pretty low, so I am going to put 5 gallons of new 93 in it and run it a while today. I am in the middle of body work, so it is sans bumpers and lights and I cannot drive it for a few months.

Thanks for your input!!

So I assume you do NOT run a fuel stabilizer?

I've had gas untreated go bad in as little as 3 months.
I was lucky and it was just in my lawn mower.

I always treat the fuel in my cars for their winter naps, especially with what pee water pump gas is anymore.

So I assume you do NOT run a fuel stabilizer?

I've had gas untreated go bad in as little as 3 months.
I was lucky and it was just in my lawn mower.

I always treat the fuel in my cars for their winter naps, especially with what pee water pump gas is anymore.
No stabilizer..........dumb me!!

With today's gas they are usually hard to start after setting for a few months. (the gas evaporates from the carb through the bowl vents) You did mention fuel pressure but not fuel pump. Do you have a electric or manual fuel pump? The electric should fill the carb up if the fuel has evaporated. A carb with a choke should help also. I usually remove the air cleaner and look fo a accelerator pump shot. If I don't see that I know I need to crank a bit. I usually crank 20 sec. or so after it sets for months just to get the oil circulated before I set the choke. tmm

With today's gas they are usually hard to start after setting for a few months. (the gas evaporates from the carb through the bowl vents) You did mention fuel pressure but not fuel pump. Do you have a electric or manual fuel pump? The electric should fill the carb up if the fuel has evaporated. A carb with a choke should help also. I usually remove the air cleaner and look fo a accelerator pump shot. If I don't see that I know I need to crank a bit. I usually crank 20 sec. or so after it sets for months just to get the oil circulated before I set the choke. tmm
Yes, electric pump. Always watch the fuel pressure gage to get up to pressure indicating bowls full. Was getting fuel shot out of the squirters before attempting to start.

Yes, electric pump. Always watch the fuel pressure gage to get up to pressure indicating bowls full. Was getting fuel shot out of the squirters before attempting to start.

That's a puzzle! The spark is usually constant and you have to wait for the fuel to arrive into the equation. lol

Todays fuel turns to a yellowish goo somewhere between jello and vasoline in the bowl of my Briggs and such over the winter. ( I told my grandson it was creamed corn. LOL )
We're lucky to live in a climate that allows me to start and drive my car once every 4 to 6 weeks That is always a short trip to get 20 dollars worth of ethanol free.

-
Back