Harmonic Balancer 130ft/lbs on Stand

-

YO7_A66

Reaction score
I want to install my harmonic balancer this weekend on my 340/420. I have the balancer installation tool and I have torqued the balancer bolt with the engine in the car a handful of times. I made a bracket that bolts to the balancer, and rests against the k-frame to keep the crank pulley from rotating while I torque this bolt, or remove it.

But this time, the engine is still on the stand. How do I get the balancer nut torqued to the 130 ft/lbs per the spec if the crank is able to rotate?
Also, should I add a lock washer to this bolt if I can't torque it to the spec?

Thank you.

IMG_6307.JPG

In the past, I've taken two long bolts that are the same thread as the flywheel bolts and threaded them into the crank flange. Wedge a long prybar between them and allow it to contact one of the "fingers" on the engine stand.

Honestly I can say that I have never put a torque wrench on a balancer bolt
Zap it with an impact wrench and call it good

Use the "rope trick" like you would do for changing valve springs- feed a length of rope into a cylinder through a spark plug hole, then let the crank turn until the piston comes up to TDC on the compression stroke. Torque it, then back it up and remove the rope.

That's a nice looking tool! If you're bound and intent on torquing it to spec... It looks like if you made that, you would have the ability to either modify it for a 3/4 inch square drive for a power bar or flex handle. Or, you could drill and tap it for a pair of 1/2-16 bolts and make a handle to bolt to it from a 4 foot piece of steel pipe or flat bar with a plate welded onto the end to stand on against the floor while torquing. I have an especially ugly piece of rusty 4 X 3 inch rusty angle iron drilled and notched for the balancer bolt pattern with a long handle welded to it that I use for a crank holding tool on occasion that serves the purpose well.

Why not just snug it and put a big note on the windshield “remember to torque the crank bolt” then use your very nice tool. You running the motor out of the car first? Oh no lock washer.

Thank you everyone.

I will not use a lockwasher and the engine will be broke-in inside of the car.

I have thought about snugging it now while on the stand and then finishing the torque once I have it in the car. But I am afraid that I will forget. I like the note on the windshield idea! I could tape a note on the balancer.
I might have to look into modifying the tool to bolt on a bar that could reach the floor.

A punch list on the windshield or steering wheel is best. You get in look forward and go “damn!!!” Get back out and do whatever is on the note.

Drill two holes in the square part of your bracket and attach a long handle. Done.

-
Back