Harmonic balancer bolt for stock 318 with 80012 balancer

-

Caco2120

Reaction score
Morning All,

Does anyone have a source for an "inexpensive" balancer bolt that will work with an aftermarket professional products balancer?

The ARP 240-2501is overpriced for what I'm doing, and I don't have a 12 point socket that large.

This brings me to P5249557AB, which can be had for $10. but I note the underhead length says 2.250, which I have seen some complain as being too long.

Trying to save $50 by the time I buy a socket for the ARP.

Anyone have a less expensive "mr gasket" type bolt they have found, or can confirm the P5249557AB fitment?
\thanks

That thread and pitch is right: 3/4" by 16 TPI.
  1. Go to any hardware store, or on-line at McMaster-Carr, and buy a grade 8 bolt of the right thread, pitch and length. That size bolt in grade 8 will provide the necessary clamping force and thread strength. A black oxide finish is best (for the reasons below) but is often hard to find locally.
  2. You will also need a washer that is thicker than normal, and preferrably hardened; standard washers will not do. All that necessary clamping force will badly deform a standard flat washer in that size. If you have the original one, use that.
  3. Or, get the Summit part and cut off what you don't need.
  4. Regardless, make sure you get the torque up to 135 ft lbs. It need that level of clamping force for the damper to do its job.
  5. If you get a bolt that is cad or zinc plated that will change the clamping force vs torque, so that is why it really best to get one like the Summit or Mancini part; it has the right thread finish.
  6. Yes, the ARP bolt is too much $$ for what it does!

I bought a longer from a bolt distributor. $2.80. I had to use a longer one for an old CAT fluid damper before they changed the design and recessed the front bolt face. That pitch and size doesn't grow on trees.

-
Back