Harmonic Balancer questions

-

reno340

I Am The Big Dog
Reaction score
I just found out that my supposedly externally balanced 340 has a forged crank. My trans had the weighted torque converter for sure but now I am questioning what harmonic balancer the idiot before me, put on the car. My engine is at the machine shop right now and the balancer is not where I can get to it right now. (Laid up from hernia surgery right now). My buddy looked at it and found the number 3614869 on it. he also found an 11.29 an N on it and a letter S with a circle around it.
Can anyone tell me if it is possible that someone could put on the incorrect balancer (will it physically fit?) Can someone show me pics of the different balancers 360 external vs 340 external vs 340 internal vs 318? I really want to be sure because the previous owner has already done some really weird things to the car and I have spent a lot of time fixing them. Please help.

I just found out that my supposedly externally balanced 340 has a forged crank. My trans had the weighted torque converter for sure but now I am questioning what harmonic balancer the idiot before me, put on the car. My engine is at the machine shop right now and the balancer is not where I can get to it right now. (Laid up from hernia surgery right now). My buddy looked at it and found the number 3614869 on it. he also found an 11.29 an N on it and a letter S with a circle around it.
Can anyone tell me if it is possible that someone could put on the incorrect balancer (will it physically fit?) Can someone show me pics of the different balancers 360 external vs 340 external vs 340 internal vs 318? I really want to be sure because the previous owner has already done some really weird things to the car and I have spent a lot of time fixing them. Please help.
all mopar balancers will interchange. if you do have a forged steel crank, it requires a zero balancer and flywheel. the cast 1973 340's with cast crank required a external weighted balancer and flywheel. the 318 and 340 zero balancers are same.

All the external balanced cast crank 340s I've seen had the balancer stamped Cast crank 340 only

If you can see a counterbalanced weights on it
1001047-1.jpg

images.jpg

all mopar balancers will interchange. if you do have a forged steel crank, it requires a zero balancer and flywheel. the cast 1973 340's with cast crank required a external weighted balancer and flywheel. the 318 and 340 zero balancers are same.

Are 318 Magnum and 318 LA balancers the same too?

balancer with a 3614369 casting number is for a 72 340 with forged crank. i took this info from the book: how to rebuild your small-block mopar . your torque converter may have a weight used from the factory to neutrally balance it and it doesnt necessarily mean it is for a cast crank engine. externally-balanced engine like the 72-73 cast crank engines used fairly large balance weight(s) welded to them. if the weight you saw on the converter is smaller than 1 in. long, the converter is probably for a forged crank. seems like you have an early 72 340 with forged crank, internally balanced. the previous owner probably didnt goof this time around.

balancer with a 3614369 casting number is for a 72 340 with forged crank. i took this info from the book: how to rebuild your small-block mopar . your torque converter may have a weight used from the factory to neutrally balance it and it doesnt necessarily mean it is for a cast crank engine. externally-balanced engine like the 72-73 cast crank engines used fairly large balance weight(s) welded to them. if the weight you saw on the converter is smaller than 1 in. long, the converter is probably for a forged crank. seems like you have an early 72 340 with forged crank, internally balanced. the previous owner probably didnt goof this time around.

Thank you all. It seems that I was wrong as I do have the correct damper. Somehow in my mind, I thought differently. He still had the weighted converter on the tranny though. The weights were pretty big. Hell of a deal on the harmonic balancer!!!! I might still get one!!

Where on the converter are the weights located?...on the face then they are for balancing of the crankshaft...if they are on the outer edge of the converter they might be for balancing of the converter...check before you start cutting them off

-
Back