Harmonic Balancer

-

66VALIANT

Reaction score
Hey i got a harmonic balancer of a 77 318 i need one for my 68 273 forged crank i know the 318 was a truck motor so was it a forged crank if i put the numbers of the balancer on the site .can you guys tell me if its for a forged crank i need a balancer for my 273. thanks guys

they are both neutral balanced meaning they interchange with no problems, regardless of casst or forged crank application. The only issue is the crank pulley bolt spacing. The older bolt pattern has one bolt that is offset, just file the hole in the pulley that doesnt match. The 77 will have a symetrical bolt pattern, match them up you'll see it.

all cast crank(external balance) sbm had the balancer that had a cutout portion on the front. if it looks the same all the way around, inside and out, its for neutral or internal balance(forged crank).

I'm not positive, but didnt some 273s (early ones) have the timing mark scale ont he opposite side from "normal" small blocks? You want to make sure if you use it, and the marks are different , that you re-mark it so it works right and you can time it.

yes. all cast iron water pump and timing cover have the timing tab bolted on the pass side. aluminum water pump timing cover has it cast in the driver side. each has its own balancer originally.

Cast crank 273's and 318's have a neutral balance so those balancers will work also. Like mentioned earlier if you are going to use a pre-70 water pump then you need a pre-70 balancer.

Chuck

if im not mistaken balancers for a forged crank are thinner than the ones for a cast crank...or vise versa, i cant remember exactly. if you had one to compare to, you could figure it out

-
Back