harmonic damper question

-

trbodrt

Reaction score
I will be running a 360 with stock heads kb 107's, rpm airgap intake and 750 demon with headers and electronic ignition, at what point will a oem replacement damper not do the job and the need for a high performance one be needed? this will be a street motor with somewhere around 10 to 1 compression. the machine shop will be balancing this motor but i can't afford the mallory for balancing which they said will be $350.00 more, so they said get the externally balanced flexplate with the cutout in it and a externally balanced damper and they can finish the balancing, is this still considered an internally balanced motor?

Hi,you will be fine for your application,Iran the stock dampner well in to the 10 second range,I guess your not supposed to,if you did everthing they told you you would never get out of bed in the morning,I used a B&M flexplate for the 360 balance,I think they cost like 80 bux from summit or jegs, while you got them on the phone,see if they have a stock 360 dampner,you should be able to get a new pioneer for less than a hundred,I`ve seen them on ebay and such,mine was a good used one,but that`s what I had in stock.I never had a minutes trouble with mine,I guess a lot of the horror stories you hear are about chevies and fords,those poor guys have to spend a fortune just to run as good as a stock mopar,god bless em,if it weren`t for them we would have no aftermarket.

Yeah but if your spending $80, for $70 more--$150 there is Summit Bracket racing sfi damper, I got it. Very nice, the shining timing marks are hard to see, otherwise its great.

Mine in Internal, yours will still be external, why you should buy a damper that will last. Same with the flex plate, I know $ but you are paying for balancing and won't be able to do it again when the motors is back together.

I will be running a 360 with stock heads kb 107's, rpm airgap intake and 750 demon with headers and electronic ignition, at what point will a oem replacement damper not do the job and the need for a high performance one be needed? this will be a street motor with somewhere around 10 to 1 compression. the machine shop will be balancing this motor but i can't afford the mallory for balancing which they said will be $350.00 more, so they said get the externally balanced flexplate with the cutout in it and a externally balanced damper and they can finish the balancing, is this still considered an internally balanced motor?

No. If it has asyemmetrical parts on the outside, it's externally balanced. If the flex plate has a notch out of it or the balancer has a groove or a weight then it's externally balanced. I would save the money and internally balance it with a good SFI balancer. It's THAT important.

$350.00 to balance your motor??? I paid $250.00 and I am sure most everyone here would agree it is WAY WAY worth it, the better dampner you have the longer your engine will last?? most likely that is correct, the added harmonics of it NOT being balanced Internally is what kills the engine over a long period of time, and why pay $80.00 for the B&M flexplate?? you can use the stock one IF you balance your engine, spend the $$$ you wont be sorry. IMO thats the only way to go,

Your running in to the same problem, all those little parts are adding up..fast.

Skip the intake and use the factory intake and carb if you have it, can always change intakes & carb later on. Can not re balance a motor nearly as easy!

I think what the machine shop was saying is there are normally weights at the torque converter but aftermarket ones don't have them, so to buy the flexplate with the cutout so that i won't have to worry about balancing the aftermarket converter. What do you guys think it should normally cost to internally balance a motor with a stock crank, scat i beam rods, and kb 107's, they said i would need about 5 pieces of mallory.

Hi,you will be fine for your application,Iran the stock dampner well in to the 10 second range,I guess your not supposed to,if you did everthing they told you you would never get out of bed in the morning,I used a B&M flexplate for the 360 balance,I think they cost like 80 bux from summit or jegs, while you got them on the phone,see if they have a stock 360 dampner,you should be able to get a new pioneer for less than a hundred,I`ve seen them on ebay and such,mine was a good used one,but that`s what I had in stock.I never had a minutes trouble with mine,I guess a lot of the horror stories you hear are about chevies and fords,those poor guys have to spend a fortune just to run as good as a stock mopar,god bless em,if it weren`t for them we would have no aftermarket.

I agree with you, and I think spending too much on a balancer is ridiculous within reason. I have however thrown the outer ring on a factory balancer on the POS Dakota. Between 6500 amd 6800 seems to be the number with a factory balancer to look out for. At least it was that in my case. Even the most recent balancer in my garage is a wobbler.

But hell for a little bit extra money you can step up A LOT in one of the many "mid-grade' sfi listed balancers and forget about it.

But I appreacite your testimony about not having to really spend a lot because I have heard all kinds of crap from people...people who do nothing themselves yet the first thing you hear out of them is "get an ATI!!!" and my answer is usually "PFFFT!!! Piss off!" This is not saying the ATI is in any way junk because it is very good, BUT it's not necessary on anything but the higher hp combos.

You dont need an ATI balancer on a 500 hp smallblock.

The stock replace balancer will work just fine,i'm running the Mopar performace one that Summit sells for $100 i believe..on my street/strip 360 mostly strip, works just fine...

I think what the machine shop was saying is there are normally weights at the torque converter but aftermarket ones don't have them, so to buy the flexplate with the cutout so that i won't have to worry about balancing the aftermarket converter. What do you guys think it should normally cost to internally balance a motor with a stock crank, scat i beam rods, and kb 107's, they said i would need about 5 pieces of mallory.

That is really interesting that "THEY" think you will need to add 5 pieces of mallory, HOW IN THE WORLD would they know that??? you have to balance the crank and assembly to know that, I have Eagle parts: cast crank, SIR rods, and Weisco pistons the machine shop had to REMOVE metal for my application, and they had no idea what they were going to have to do BEFORE they balanced the rotating assembly, I would be real skeptical of that machine shop..IMO

I have both of these parts brand new(B&M 360 flexplate and harmonic balancer,dampner for external balanced 360)PM if interested.

I think they did spin it up to find out it would need that much mallory, also I'm using the stock crank so i'm not sure if that has to do with needing that much compared to using an eagle crank.

theres a used fluidampr for sale on here for 125. when i bought mine it was 300 to 350 i believe,

-
Back