Has anyone ever hacked a stock K for power rack?

-

magnumdust

Reaction score
Just kinda curious, i stumbled on this picture a few days ago:

IMG_4214.jpg

And it made me wonder if one could go one step further by cutting a "U" shape into each side of that K member and then use some plate to re-strengthen that area.(in the same way that mini-truck people will notch their frames) and then fit a power rack/pinion and fab. some mounts to those bars.

Though i'm not totally sure how'd make the spindles work.

Have you talked to Bob Shingler? I believe he has a rack under his Duster....

Just stay clear of the Uni-Stear kits. Ive installed one and it was junk.

Just stay clear of the Uni-Stear kits. Ive installed one and it was junk.

So i've heard. I looked at the instructions for the B-body Uni-steer and it didnt impress me at all. Infact i didn't get the point. I think it was still rear steer so it didnt even help with header clearance.

And nope, had not talked to Bob Shingler, i'll do some searching and see what i find. When i looked before i only saw manual rack conversions. Which i'm not interested in. At least not for my roadrace application.

So i've heard. I looked at the instructions for the B-body Uni-steer and it didnt impress me at all. Infact i didn't get the point. I think it was still rear steer so it didnt even help with header clearance.

And nope, had not talked to Bob Shingler, i'll do some searching and see what i find. When i looked before i only saw manual rack conversions. Which i'm not interested in. At least not for my roadrace application.
I know Bob's is a manual unit but at the very least you can see how he squeezed it in there....I drove a car years ago that someone hacked a rack into, was pretty frightening the amount of bump steer it had. I am interested to see if you come up with any good options.....

bob has 1 in his demon:prayer::prayer::prayer::prayer:

Yup, Put one in an ebody and the owner had to buy a set off TTis on top od the rack kit. There also was no support to the steering shaft, It just flopped around. With what the owner had invested in it he could have bought a Alerkation

Somebody built one here on this site. I guess you could say similar to the unisteer. He mounted a rack in the same position as the original center link, using the idler arm mount on one side and mounted to the K on the original steering box end.

Yup, Put one in an ebody and the owner had to buy a set off TTis on top od the rack kit. There also was no support to the steering shaft, It just flopped around. With what the owner had invested in it he could have bought a Alerkation

There's a guy that's been posting in this FABO Suspension section with a 68? Barracuda he just bought with a Unisteer rack. He's can't seem to get the car to align right and keep alignment and it's got other issues. Train wreck.

-
Back