Has anyone painted their car with rollers

-

Palmetto

Reaction score
I have seen youtube videos on painting cars with rollers with very good results. Have any tried it?

I haven't, but it's very tempting. People are getting amazing results but at the cost of a lot of elbow grease and time. Check out rolledon.forummotion.com
There are some amazing rolled on projects there.

if you think about it, it's like old Henry Ford use to do.
they painted the cars with a Brush and Hand rubbed it out.
i wonder how much paint would have to be sanded off just to smooth the finish out.

there are U Tube videos of people painting their cars with Rustolem and buffing them out too.
never see this guy doing it. would much rather just spray it.

Painting your car with a roller is like having sex by yourself. You'll get the job done, but it just won't feel the same as if you had a professional do it.

Yes, I did, LOL. Had an old 56 Ford farm truck with a dump bed back in 1979 that I hauled scrap iron with. It was really slick old body but any place you touched the body you had red all over your hands from where the paint had oxidied. Took a 5 gallon bucket, poured in a gallon of vinegar then filled up the rest with water and washed her down with a rag mop. Let it sit a couple of days to totally dry out. Broke open some tractor paint and whipped out the rollers and had a paint party. Touched up the edges with a brush. At 10 feet the thing looked great. Up close you could see the fuzz from the rollers. Kept it for several years and it still looked good when I sold it. LOL, I am sure that old tractor paint had plenty of lead in it.
I have a semi trailer here right now we painted with rollers but by this time they had foam rollers so no more fuzz. I sold the mattress company in 1995 so that trailer was painted in 1989 or 1990 and it still looks good today.

There was huge thread on this over on bigblockdart.com
Check it out

Car Craft did an article on this a while back. It works!

I've always wanted to try dipping, the way they did control arms and stuff.

not a roller but walmart spray paint....seriously....

Attachments

• fjtuy6.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,255
  • etry56.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,260
  • a106.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 1,239
"Has anyone painted their car with rollers"

Yes but only on day 7 of a no-sleep meth binge. At that time, anything starts to sound doable, and a good idea.

Paint it with a pushbroom, why waste your time with a 10" roller? Anything can be color sanded and buffed. The roller job I SAW was pretty good 10 feet away, closer was obvious but for a 50 year old car with a bright orange paint job, it looked pretty good. Took him a week of painting and sanding, I think about 10 coats of 90% cut paint and a foam roller. and sanding between coats! Something to pass the time when he was out of work was the story I got. Maybe he should do that for a new line of work? I saw a rattle can paint job that was 100% better at the same beater rat rod show.

i have used a roller! 20 bucks at wallmart. you can see that ive rolled it if i tell you but if not it looks good!
299327_288019631210867_348099952_n.jpg

300218_295656127113884_530341148_n.jpg

539972_441317035881125_2038068605_n.jpg

Boat guys to it; called roll and tip. Roll, then with a good brush, smooth it. Looks like gelcoat.

I love this picture bigtommy..........talkin' about paintin' with a roller and a big vertical compressor in the shot......lol. Really though i do understand the overspray mess. Just got a kick out of it. :D

Attachments

• Bigtommy.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,174
sounds like a crap load of work to me. if you have the time and not the money have at it. you might want to recruit some helpers too. seen some decent ones though.

Needs to be buffed but works, and sprayed right where she sits.
Some people just need to spend a lot of money to be proud of thier car.
I'm not one.

Attachments

• before2.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 1,156
  • after (1).jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,147
I love this picture bigtommy..........talkin' about paintin' with a roller and a big vertical compressor in the shot......lol. Really though i do understand the overspray mess. Just got a kick out of it. :D

wow i just saw that. thats funny. but forreal i did roll it. if you look at the one with the truck, you can see the roll lines.

see i sprayed painted the edge and where i couldnt get with the roller then i rolled the body

-
Back