Has anyone tried this with White Face Gauges?

-

Joe Blow

Reaction score
So I just bought a 1970 Dart, and have caught some sort of sickness that compels me to try and figure out as many possible ways to sink money into it.

My car is green with green interior. Its my favorite color, so everything must be green.

I started out researching an LED light replacement for my dashboard. You guessed it, green LEDs.

I then stumbled upon White Face Gauges, and wondered if these were offered in other colors...like a nice light green, Nope.

Then I got the stupid Idea to change the color of the White Face Gauges with a colored transparent film with adhesive like this:

Transparent Vinyl Plastic Sheeting, with Adhesive, choose your color and size | eBay

I thought with my newly colored White Face Gauge, I could then use nice super bright white LEDs rather than the green.

Seems like it should work if you are careful about applying the film.

I was just wondering if anyone has tried this before and had some sort of horror story.

This is a farther away project, but like I said, I am trying to figure out ways to throw money at this silly car.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Don't know about on gauges but I have seen applied films cause some distortion of what you are trying to view. Also keeping bubbles from under the film can be difficult. I did install green leds in my Demon although gauge faces are not white. I do like the green but wish the leds were brighter.
Yote

So I just bought a 1970 Dart, and have caught some sort of sickness that compels me to try and figure out as many possible ways to sink money into it.

My car is green with green interior. Its my favorite color, so everything must be green.

I started out researching an LED light replacement for my dashboard. You guessed it, green LEDs.

I then stumbled upon White Face Gauges, and wondered if these were offered in other colors...like a nice light green, Nope.

Then I got the stupid Idea to change the color of the White Face Gauges with a colored transparent film with adhesive like this:

Transparent Vinyl Plastic Sheeting, with Adhesive, choose your color and size | eBay

I thought with my newly colored White Face Gauge, I could then use nice super bright white LEDs rather than the green.

Seems like it should work if you are careful about applying the film.

I was just wondering if anyone has tried this before and had some sort of horror story.

This is a farther away project, but like I said, I am trying to figure out ways to throw money at this silly car.

Thanks!

-
Back