Replacing Instrument Cluster bulbs with LEDs - Illumination Detail Question - 67 Barracuda

-

soonercruiser

Reaction score
I am going to use gauge face overlaps in white when I replace the dash bezel; as well as upgrade to LEDs.
I have used LEDs in the past to get better Illumunation. But, I have not disassembled the 67 Barracuda dash yet.

The gauge face overlay folks I am considering say to simply use their overlays over top of the OEM faces! i.e., you don't have to remove the OEM faces!
But, if the gauge face lighting is coming from behind the faces, that would be cutting down on the transmitted light.

So, my question is....with the 67 Barracuda gauge faces, is the light coming from the periphery of the gauges (from the sides); or from behind?

This relates to some of the past posts on this Forum about whether the LEDs should have diodes all facing forward; or some diodes on the sides of the LED, scattering the light.

The illumination is coming from the sides you will be fine. You might also consider LED tape lights around the inside of the dash cluster. I have seen it done and it looks really cool & you can change colors. I didn’t hear about it till I had already done mine.

Also, my bulbs have LEDs on all sides.

The illumination is coming from the sides you will be fine. You might also consider LED tape lights around the inside of the dash cluster. I have seen it done and it looks really cool & you can change colors. I didn’t hear about it till I had already done mine.

Also, my bulbs have LEDs on all sides.
Thanks!
That's the news I was hoping for. So, I'll use 5 SMDs with diodes on the sides then, and not worry about losing illumination by overlaying the gauges faces.

I'll be happy just with those upgrades; as the current illumination isn't all that bad at night. But, the gauge faces are crap.

I have modified 7 PT Cruisers since 2006.
One of those was a 2005 GT Convertible that had horrible illumination, especialy behind the HVAC controls.
I didn't add an LED chain; but added some LED grains to the HVAC control knob areas in that case.
I don't care to do that ever again! :rolleyes:

I believe that the dash lights are behind lenses so the illumination is diffused.

Screenshot_20231230-231333.png

I am going to use gauge face overlaps in white when I replace the dash bezel; as well as upgrade to LEDs.
I have used LEDs in the past to get better Illumunation. But, I have not disassembled the 67 Barracuda dash yet.

The gauge face overlay folks I am considering say to simply use their overlays over top of the OEM faces! i.e., you don't have to remove the OEM faces!
But, if the gauge face lighting is coming from behind the faces, that would be cutting down on the transmitted light.

So, my question is....with the 67 Barracuda gauge faces, is the light coming from the periphery of the gauges (from the sides); or from behind?

This relates to some of the past posts on this Forum about whether the LEDs should have diodes all facing forward; or some diodes on the sides of the LED, scattering the light.

I also used the 12v LED strip lights in the dash.
Disassembled the housing and painted the inside white.
Then ran the “daylight” light strip around the inside edge.
I wanted white gauges and speedometer also.
I made the white speedometer face from a factory one by painting it and using stick on numbers.

IMG_3982.jpeg

IMG_3985.jpeg

newface.jpeg

I'm confused why you would think redoing gauge faces would cause low light issues??
@moparmat2000 did a great job on his cluster with led tape.
Here's one of his threads. I suggest searching for threads started by Matt. Extremely talented with a lot of cool diy stuff.
LED light strip for gage housing redux
I wasn't confused, simply not knowledgable about where the light was being projected from in the Barracuda cluster, and where to. (had done one dash where lights were behind the gauges)
If the light where projected from behind the gauge face, and extra layer of gauge face would diminish the light.

So, thanks for the pictures of the back of the cluster.
I had researched back at least 10 pages on some of topics, like "Interior".
I actually got more posts on the subject by "Googling", and up come links to the FABO threads.

A light strip would actually produced an effect similar to what I had done on one of my PT Cruisers.
But, I just hestitate to do that to a future owner without any skills.....keeping it simple.
Just replacing the dash bezel will be enough work alone.

**But then again, the creative side of me kicks in.......hmmmmmmmmm......I even have some leftover LED strip! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yes there's some very cool lighting that can be done now. I kept it simple and replaced bulbs with leds when i redid our dash. Not near as nice as Matt's lol.
Can't remember if yours is fb or nb? Either way I would replace all interior bulbs with leds. Old wiring and bulb heat aren't a good mix.
Matt's restoration thread is a good one to follow, creative skilled and 2nd gen cudas....
I wasn't confused, simply not knowledgable about where the light was being projected from in the Barracuda cluster, and where to. (had done one dash where lights were behind the gauges)
If the light where projected from behind the gauge face, and extra layer of gauge face would diminish the light.

So, thanks for the pictures of the back of the cluster.
I had researched back at least 10 pages on some of topics, like "Interior".
I actually got more posts on the subject by "Googling", and up come links to the FABO threads.

A light strip would actually produced an effect similar to what I had done on one of my PT Cruisers.
But, I just hestitate to do that to a future owner without any skills.....keeping it simple.
Just replacing the dash bezel will be enough work alone.

**But then again, the creative side of me kicks in.......hmmmmmmmmm......I even have some leftover LED strip! :rolleyes:

Yes there's some very cool lighting that can be done now. I kept it simple and replaced bulbs with leds when i redid our dash. Not near as nice as Matt's lol.
Can't remember if yours is fb or nb? Either way I would replace all interior bulbs with leds. Old wiring and bulb heat aren't a good mix.
Matt's restoration thread is a good one to follow, creative skilled and 2nd gen cudas....
And now, running into a problem with the 1157 SMD replacements for the dual function taillights and front turn signals.
LEDs won't work there. :eek:
I've got LEDs everywhere else, including the side markers.
First time I've run into this.
Will communicate with Superbrightleds.

i guess i'm in the minority in that i like the soft incandescent glow of the stock setup.
There is a happy medium there somewhere.
As occassionally, I glance down at the speedo about the same time I get headlights in my face and can't read it.
The old, weathered and dark faces are that way in the sushine glare in the daytime. That's why I'm going to go with white faces.

And now, running into a problem with the 1157 SMD replacements for the dual function taillights and front turn signals.
Have you checked the polarity? You might need to switch the leads around in the lamp socket.
I got LEDtronics 1157s ten years ago. They're fine. I plugged them in and they worked.
You might have issues with flashers needing resistance in the circuit to work properly. I didn't, but I left my hood mounted turn signal bulbs as incandescents so that may have been enough to make it work. There are special electronic flashers, but I don't have any experience with them.

I installed cheap LEDS in tail/brake lights, they were no better than std bulbs. I didn't invest much time into looking for any. The interior was my priority for leds.
Superb rights for me were outrageously priced lol.

I installed cheap LEDS in tail/brake lights, they were no better than std bulbs. I didn't invest much time into looking for any. The interior was my priority for leds.
Superb rights for me were outrageously priced lol.
Yup!
There's a lot of talk on the web about needing load resistors on the taillights.
Polarity should not be an issue with Superbrightleds. But, load resistance might be.
There are several past threads, even here on FABO about no real good direct replacements for the taillights and turnsignals.

I am willing to keep the front turn signal incandescent; no problem.
When I piddled around today, I went ahead and disassembled them, cleaning the lens and chrome bezels.
The reflectors are toast! I could not clean them up., being badly oxidized.
So, off again to the store for some chrome spray, before I reassemble them.

I emailed Superbrightleds, and will await their recmmendations on the tail/brake lights.
One of the historic thraeds recommended a Sylvania bulb that would work - but is no longer available.

I'd been thinking about the LEDs. Then in the space of a week I saw a nice '66 or '67 Olds 442 with a slope nosed Volvo smashed under its rear end. Then I saw a early Mustang on a flatbed tow truck with its rear end smashed. Drivers are so used to seeing a wall of red when a newer car brakes. You can't miss it. In comparison, the tiny little brake lights on our old Darts and Barracudas are barely visible.
I spent the big bucks and got the LEDtronics. The difference is substantial.

If I need to improve my home lighting...yes!
On a car...NO!
:lol:
On a car…YES!
Ceiling white specifically, not just any old white paint; go to a paint store and get Ceiling White, which is practically ideal for the task—it reflects very nearly 100% of the light hitting it. Regular white is down in the 60% range. An example is 'Ceiling Bright White' from Sherwin-Williams; they'll mix it up for you as a polyurethane-based paint on request. It's water-based, so it won't stink up the place and it's easy to apply and clean up.

Taillights work much better with LEDs for me. Much brighter!

I bought the LEDs on Amazon. I just picked some high rated ones. They weren’t that expensive.

I left the front turn signal’s incandescent so my flasher still worked. Get a flasher designed for LED lights if you are having issues. LED flashers often require a ground to work, so don’t forget that. Load resistors are a very crude way to solve the flasher issue.

Don‘t forget to change the emergency flasher too.

I too ran into that issue. Had to put the OE style brake light bulbs back in for the turn signals to work when the headlights were on. This is even using a LED turn signal flasher with the correct black ground wire. Wierd.

-
Back