Has anyone used these type connectors?

-
Just got some. Tried a couple of test pieces with a small butane torch, seemed to work good.

I still like solder and heat shrink myself. No, I haven't tried these.

Yes and I'm still Po:BangHead:'ed my shop won't buy them any more. They say that they cost to much. Assholes :soapbox:

I would wonder if it is low temp solder, if the circuit got hot, would it melt, increasing resistance and causing bad connection, possible fire?

I've never used the solder ones, that has to be some loooooow temp solder
But I use the crimp heat seal ones all the time. With an open flame I figure it might even pull some oxygen out oof the joint too

It says to overlap the wires before heating if your wire is contaminated it would be hard to see if the solder flowed through the entire connection i still prefer crimping so the connection is under pressure or soldering with higher temperature & flux so all the copper is tinned probably ok on signal type wiring where it is not subjected to high current

Yep I've used them alot in aerospace apps. And boat trailers, lol. Buy enough to practice and get your technique down. We often use an ultraviolet gun to shrink them, but a heat gun will work. If possible, tin your wires first and the solder will tend to flow better as you heat them.

D540F6AF-5A45-4C5D-BDEE-CE3799F551E3.png
Do NOT order from these guys, storm media/chi delta. Been a month, still haven’t shipped. Trying to void it with PayPal. I ordered some from Sopoby on amazon, got them in 4 days.

I've used them (different brand) and they work great. Strong connection...as much as you should need on electrical wire anyways. On the ones you linked it says they have an operation temperature of about 270F so that will be fine in most places. I used a heat gun and worked fine on the first go. You can see the solder creep as it becomes fluid.

Yep I've used them alot in aerospace apps.

Are you telling me those are FAA approved? I would lean "the other way." Anything that melts with a hair dryer sounds a little suspect to me.........and juz' sayin, there is all kinds of heat guns.

Here's what the site says.

Operating Temperature: -55°C-125°C
Fully Recovered Temp: 130°C
Temp of Solder Starting Melt: 125°C
Temp of Full Solder Melt: 150°C
Voltage Resistance: >600V

I have soldered wires with kester solder and a bic lighter. Werent big wires though.

"I guess" the thing to do would be to test one by attaching two wires together, letting it cool completely and then reheating to see if the solder remelts. It may be designed to only melt the first time.

That's some serious witchcraft going on with those connectors!

I'll stick with my old fashioned way because I am resilient to change:D

I couldn't help myself. I found them on Ebay for cheap. I'll do a test and post up the results when they get here.

There are FAA approved solder sleeves. Not used for splicing though. They are for terminating over-braid shields on wires. Most aircraft manufacturers have specifications for manual solder joints and heat shrink but have not seen solder sleeve splices anywhere due to not being able to inspect flow. I use them all the time on car splices though. works great

Here's what the site says.

Operating Temperature: -55°C-125°C
Fully Recovered Temp: 130°C
Temp of Solder Starting Melt: 125°C
Temp of Full Solder Melt: 150°C
Voltage Resistance: >600V

Notice , centigrade , not farenhite !!

Are you telling me those are FAA approved? I would lean "the other way." Anything that melts with a hair dryer sounds a little suspect to me.........and juz' sayin, there is all kinds of heat guns.
Don't know about FAA, but they are NASA approved. Like has been said, mostly for terminating shields on RF wire. Still use mechanical splices for anything carrying some amperage.

Notice , centigrade , not farenhite !!

I saw that. But I don't know what all that terminology means. Measured in C means they have to get really hot to melt. I do know that.

I talked to a friend on Facebook who says once the solder is melted, that's it. It does not melt a second time. Said he's tried it. I'm gonna have to see that for myself.

I talked to a friend on Facebook who says once the solder is melted, that's it. It does not melt a second time. Said he's tried it. I'm gonna have to see that for myself.

I don't know why that would be true, Rusty. Solder that I'm aware of does not magically increase it's melting temperature

I agree with Crackedback, EXCEPT that so much of the time, crimped terminals are not properly crimped. Cheap import crimpers, or working in dark, tight access is likely a big cause. AND SOME BRANDS OF TERMINALS JUST SUCK!!!

Many dont have a long enough barrel for reliable crimp, and some of the yellow (no10) terminals are WAY too light material to be hardy and reliable

I don't know why that would be true, Rusty. Solder that I'm aware of does not magically increase it's melting temperature

I agree with Crackedback, EXCEPT that so much of the time, crimped terminals are not properly crimped. Cheap import crimpers, or working in dark, tight access is likely a big cause. AND SOME BRANDS OF TERMINALS JUST SUCK!!!

Many dont have a long enough barrel for reliable crimp, and some of the yellow (no10) terminals are WAY too light material to be hardy and reliable

I ain't disagreein! I wanna see for myself.

-
Back