Has anyone used this disc brake kit??

-

74scamp360

Reaction score
Het guys, i've been looking ever since i bought my scamp in the spring for a cheap disc brake conversion kit and think i've stumbled upon the exact thing i'm looking for. My question is for you guys has anyone ever used this kit or this company? If so how well did it all go together?? how did you find the quality of the parts etc. etc.

Heres a link

http://www.resto-modtechnology.com/servlet/the-2131/63-dsh-74-MOPAR-|-CHRYSLER/Detail

Also it mentions for the a body that you will need to replace lower ball joints and upper control arms, Why? is that just so that you have the bigger ball joint? If so how do you tell if you have big or small, i know the nut size tells you but i forget what the big/small nut sizes are. My car is a 74 scamp with 4 wheel manual drums and the 7 1/4 which means it's small bolt pattern, i believe it should have the big ball joint but will have to double check to be sure, does that sound correct?? Thanks in advance for your help guys, you're always extremly helpful!!!

You'll need lower ball joints but not the uppers unless yours are shot. The lower ball joints were different from disc to drum.

From the description:
"A-body (Requires new lower ball joints and upper control arms to complete installation)
• 63-74 Dodge Dart
• 71-72 Dodge Demon
• 63-74 Plymouth Valiant
• 64-69 Plymouth Barracuda
• 70-76 Plymouth Duster
• 71-74 Plymouth Scamp"

I'd want to know a lot more about these kits, especially since they dont seem to know the model years well.

thanks jim, i think that they have a couple different kits and that's just a list of the ones they have, i noticed that one of the order options is which year your car is so i assume that they are different which obviously would be correct, no one ever used these guys before?

i never have but it seems like you would also need to get the master cylinder i think, every kit ive seen says you need a different master for the disc brakes from the drums but i may be wrong. let me know if you find out about em cause im looking for a kit too.

From the pic, those anchors and calipers look a lot like Chrysler F,M,J, trucks, etc. The anchors and the spindles are the "hardest" part to find. The calipers can be had at any of the major retailers for around $15 apiece, the rotors at about $20 apiece, throw in a set of bearings for about $30...you get the picture.

$440? Got a boneyard near you that you can scarf the spindles and the anchors from an Aspen wagon or old Dip cop car? I think if you can score a set and then priced everything you need seperately you'd come out ahead.

From the pic, those anchors and calipers look a lot like Chrysler F,M,J, trucks, etc. The anchors and the spindles are the "hardest" part to find. The calipers can be had at any of the major retailers for around $15 apiece, the rotors at about $20 apiece, throw in a set of bearings for about $30...you get the picture.

Where are U getting your parts? I am in the middle of buying all these parts for my conversion. Calipers are no less than $19/each & I can not find rotors for under $46/each. Bearings & seals are around $35 per side for decent ones. You have to buy brake hoses @ $19/each & hardware kits run $15ish. If I could just save on the rotors I would be happy but I checked everywhere local.

Where are U getting your parts? I am in the middle of buying all these parts for my conversion. Calipers are no less than $19/each & I can not find rotors for under $46/each. Bearings & seals are around $35 per side for decent ones. You have to buy brake hoses @ $19/each & hardware kits run $15ish. If I could just save on the rotors I would be happy but I checked everywhere local.

Trade secret.

Really, how many times do I have to say it? Look at your local parts houses when you're restoring a car. Certain number of parts can get you the volume you need to qualify for a commercial discount. It's a matter of talking to the right person (like the manager) and see what he can do for you.

Those rotors on my commercial discounts is $20 a shot. I paid $12 for the calipers on my M-body and the Ramcharger. How's $8 a bearing sound to you? That's $32 for both sides. Hoses? About $7 a side. Hardware? $9.

Yeah, I carry a commercial discount because I've been commercial before and have worked in several shops in the area. But getting to know your parts guy can go a long way, especially if you're doing a car from the ground up like some are on here. Give him the business and he'll give you the service.

i'd love to try a boneyard but anything that once had disc brakes have been long picked over and all that's left is the stuff that people are asking tons of money for. I can't get parts that cheap here in canada, no matter what i try and i've got some fairly inside connections, thanks for the tips guys, i guess i'll keep trying

again anyone who has used this kit or this company i'd like to hear what you thought of it/them??? Thanks again!

so can you just go to a parts store and buy everything you need to do the swap? would it be cheaper? what are the exact parts i would need to get?

well man you'd need to get the spindles off a donor car and everything else you should be able to get at your local parts store but i don't know if you could do it that cheap. rameth seems to think so and hey he may be right but anything i've ever priced out would turn out to be a fair chunk more expensive then this kit, keeping in mind though that i'm in canada so most parts will probably be more expensive up here.

1963-74 MOPAR CHRYSLER DODGE DISC BRAKE CONVERSION KIT
Enter the above into Ebay search and classic performance products is selling the same setup for $369.00 with slotted and drilled rotors. good luck

thanks for the tip man, i did a little more reaserch and it says that i'll need new lower ball joints and upper conrtol arms which through them is going to cost me another $299, why do i need the other ball joint and control arms? I sit just so that you have the big ball joint?? i don't quite understand that part, can someone enlighten me?

These kits have the larger ball joints spindles. That is why you need the upper control arms to accept the larger ball joints. It is required with the kit you originally wrote in about and the one on ebay. Same ebay company has tubular control arms with ball joints for $239 also.

you should already have the large bj uppers on a 74 A body.

no F,M,J or late B's in the JY's in your area?
spindles out and dist/prop valve w/master and your set.

Het guys, i've been looking ever since i bought my scamp in the spring for a cheap disc brake conversion kit and think i've stumbled upon the exact thing i'm looking for. My question is for you guys has anyone ever used this kit or this company? If so how well did it all go together?? how did you find the quality of the parts etc. etc.

Heres a link

http://www.resto-modtechnology.com/servlet/the-2131/63-dsh-74-MOPAR-|-CHRYSLER/Detail

Also it mentions for the a body that you will need to replace lower ball joints and upper control arms, Why? is that just so that you have the bigger ball joint? If so how do you tell if you have big or small, i know the nut size tells you but i forget what the big/small nut sizes are. My car is a 74 scamp with 4 wheel manual drums and the 7 1/4 which means it's small bolt pattern, i believe it should have the big ball joint but will have to double check to be sure, does that sound correct?? Thanks in advance for your help guys, you're always extremly helpful!!!

I am not sure but I think I remember reading some bad things about this company, cheap made in china parts, parts not fitting, rust, lack of customer service after the sale, I may have them confused with another vender, but I would do some serious research before I sent them any money

You'll need lower ball joints but not the uppers unless yours are shot. The lower ball joints were different from disc to drum.

you need the 73-up upper control arms with the larger ball joints.. you may have the larger ball joint though since its a 74.

Heres a link

probably made by the same place as the MP brake kits are made.

the mp kits ar more money but are also a more complete kit. the mp comes with everything you need to drive in the garage with drum brakes and drive out with bog bolt disc except for the rims.. know a couple guys that bought from mp and they worked out great. think they bough shorter hoses though.

http://www.mpbrakes.com/products/product-detail.cfm?product_id=239

db1303mhpnew_large.jpg

that's a great find abodyjoe but it's 1300 bucks for the kit, ouch that a lot more then my budget can afford. Thanks though. So what you guys are saying is that becasue mine is a 74 it should already have the big ball joint and therefore i won't need either the ball joints or upper control arms? I just want to make sure i'm understanding you guys right. Thanks all for your help!!

-
Back