Has,nt sunk in yet

-

daredevil

Reaction score
Walked in to work this morning like so many mornings before(33 years worth) and got the axe.No severance package ,no weeks pay, just a your services are no longer needed.With a daughter in college and mortgage and 3 car payments i,m devastated and speechless.I was promised a job forever.Still in shock. Boss could have at least warned me.

I am sorry to hear this Pete, what a shitty thing to do to a person, especially with holidays coming up....I will pray for you and hope you find another job soon.

Thanks,I feel so hollow now that I dont have a purpose. I lived my job. Everything in my life was second to my job except family and God. Feel like trash left at the curb right now.

What did you do there? Really sucks that an employee with so much passion about what they do can get let go like this....it's their loss Pete and be strong, you will find work again.

I'm sad to hear this. It's bound to be a rollercoaster ride of feelings, as there is with all losses, take care of yourself. You are the same great guy as before this happened.

What kind of out fit pulls this kind of ch!t!! Dang Pete! What a SOB!!
He or a She pulled this off ?
I bet you have your foot in many of the contractor's door's, I would walk in everyone of his contracted jobs and let them know you are looking and spread the word around about how He/She does business #-o
Go to some of his places of business and charge up a bunch of pipe and have it delivered to one of his jobs and tell him to stick it where the sun don't shine..:???:... this is just a thought not that I would do it :glasses7:

All BS aside, What are your plans now ? I know you have skills, I have met you before and if I remember right you read new construction blue prints and bid the plumbing work and make sure job sites have what they need, a plumber by trade and an all out great man around your area.

So sorry to hear about you losing your job and especially in that manner. I have no knowledge of what your skillset is but your job now is to find another. May I suggest you go to my employers website http://www.halliburton.com/en-US/careers/default.page?node-id=hgbr8q6n and look thru the openings, we are an extremely diverse company and there may be a fit for you. Since you are obviously internet savy Register and Navigate the site by region and if you find something that could be a good fit for you PM ME and I will give you some personal info to use in your online application that MAY help get your foot in the door as current employee referrals are elevated. Keep your chin up.

*****After reading some posts I am getting the impression you are possibly a pipefitter or mechanical contractor and there is a lot of that work going on at our facilities. With both in house employees (facilities/real estate) and always onsite contractors (United Mechanical at my location) I don't know who they use in Houston for contractors but they are always very busy.

That sucks , what the hell ever happened to employment standards and labour laws ? at least with the Onion we get an hours notice at the end off the day and it's always a layoff guaranteeing unemployment benefits .

I,m a journeyman plumber. Been a journeyman 30 years doing residential homes and light commercial. Plan layout,takeoffs and code adherence are my forte. Neglected getting my journeymans for 20 years because boss said he wouldnt be comfortable as this could be a conflict of interest. Now I need to submit to the state for an exam date. Then wait for their next masters testing date. May take up to two months.Just have to survive till then and hopefully I can put out my shingle then.thanks all for the ideas and support.Halliburton or Brown and root may be options because with my kids grown i,m not afraid to travel.

So sorry to hear about you losing your job and especially in that manner. I have no knowledge of what your skillset is but your job now is to find another. May I suggest you go to my employers website http://www.halliburton.com/en-US/careers/default.page?node-id=hgbr8q6n and look thru the openings, we are an extremely diverse company and there may be a fit for you. Since you are obviously internet savy Register and Navigate the site by region and if you find something that could be a good fit for you PM ME and I will give you some personal info to use in your online application that MAY help get your foot in the door as current employee referrals are elevated. Keep your chin up.

*****After reading some posts I am getting the impression you are possibly a pipefitter or mechanical contractor and there is a lot of that work going on at our facilities. With both in house employees (facilities/real estate) and always onsite contractors (United Mechanical at my location) I don't know who they use in Houston for contractors but they are always very busy.
Thanks for the heads up!

Wow! Sorry, it sucks when you put your trust in an employer who acts like your family and friend then stabs you in the back.
Hopefully something comes along quick....maybe your own business in the near future???

It really does SUCK, big time. If I were in your shoes, I'd put the word out that your looking for a job. When your as good as you are at what you do, then your reputation will precede you. I'm sure some of the other companies know of you and you don't even know it. Good Luck, hope all turns out well for you.

Already applied two places. Sitting in the office at the first I noticed a familiar name on the Master plumbers license on the wall.I inquired if he worked for them. Hes the owner. I worked with him 30 years ago. I think he was fired back then.Maybe its worth a few brownie points for me. Waiting on a call back.

That blows.

Our much loved (but not by everyone) CIO resigned/retired early and that has put us on a roller coaster and brought all sorts of questionable politics up to the surface.

Hopefully for you, plumbing is not as cut throat as IT.

Sorry to hear this.

That's the way companies treat employees now days. Use them up and throw them away at their first whim...

You could always apply for unemployment in the mean time if you were fired. I know it sucks to have to collect it, but you have to pay your bills or those guys will be coming after you...

Welcome to Corporate Amerika.....

Don't sweat it, you'll have a job quick. The need for trades people has never been better.

I sure will be praying for you, Pete.

that is so wrong.I got downsized or "right sized" whatever..
but i got part of my pension and a bit of a severance and am O.K.
i think in this day and age i was lucky.

Hang in there man! I have racked my mind wondering what I would do if this ever happened to me. Honestly, I cannot come up with the answer. I'll be praying for you.

Shock has turned to anger and depression is slipping in.Think i will take a nap.

-
Back