Has,nt sunk in yet

-
Hey Pete, sorry to hear of your predicament. I think you'll do fine down there once you get everything in order. There are many employers in your area, good luck with your search.

As far as the recommendation on doing a start up of your own business, be sure and do plenty of research on this. It's not for everybody. And, with no reflection on a persons ability to do their job, the large majority of new businesses fail. Knowing your trade very well, and being good at it, does not equate to being a good business owner. It's two different things. This far into your career it might be better to continue as an excellent employee for a company that offers decent pay and benefits.

Very true...knowing a trade and being good at it doesn't mean you will succeed at it. A buddy is really good at what he does, was not until he hired a guy with a business background that he succeeded, went from "getting by" to "making it happen".
Pete, I understand the depression setting in, just don't let it get the upper hand.

That sucks , what the hell ever happened to employment standards and labour laws ? at least with the Onion we get an hours notice at the end off the day and it's always a layoff guaranteeing unemployment benefits .

Canada has strong labour laws, the USA doesn't..people don't want Unions or labor laws but then **** like this happens

this is great news to see first thing this morning :blob::blob::blob::cheers:

this is great news to see first thing this morning

I second that,
C

Good to hear buddy. I went through some bad times not long ago. It WILL get better trust me.

John

That sucks , what the hell ever happened to employment standards and labour laws ? at least with the Onion we get an hours notice at the end off the day and it's always a layoff guaranteeing unemployment benefits .

He CAN file for SUI, and if he does, he WILL collect. State Unemployment Insurance does not require a "layoff slip" to collect unemployment, as long as you weren't fired for committing a crime, ie: Stealing, vandalizing, fighting, threatening, industrial espionage, etc. or a disciplinary action.

A lay off slip would make collecting happen quicker, as it indicates that the employer is not contesting the collection of SUI, but, after the Labor Department contacts the ex-employer, and learns that there were no illegal grounds, and/or that separation was not the end result of a series of disciplinary actions against the employee ( usually in about two week) he can start collecting.

It doesn't require a union, and the existing labor laws are quite sufficient, and do err, when necessary, on the side of the ex-employee, unless, as I stated above, the firing was the result of a crime, or repeated offenses of company policy which resulted in a disciplinary separation.
...and even then, after a waiting period of approximately 6 weeks, even a "fired for Discipline" ex-employee will be allowed to collect, as a rule. There are exceptions to that, but, they ARE exceptions.

Damn Pete, Just found your thread and was shocked how you were treated. I don't understand how a company could treat anyone like that. There is no excuse for it. 30 plus years is a long time to be kicked out the door with nothing. Glad you found something to get you by for now. Just remember it wasn't you fault so don't beat yourself up. Jeff

Good to hear that you have something to get you by...

Still have two weeks till I start. I,m going to look for something with the same or better pay but its nice to know we wont be hungry.

Still have two weeks till I start. I,m going to look for something with the same or better pay but its nice to know we wont be hungry.

Just, saw this.... It blows, been there myself. At least you found something ,fairly quickly. You are not the only member here fighting ,this type of problem.

great news!!!!!!!
" shocked how he was treated??". just follow the money trail. !!
similar deal with me 3 years ago, the scumbag boss told me, " your replacement is younger and CHEAPER!" LOL WOW how I wish I had tape recorder going when he said that!! LOL!!
and get this one.. I had worked with this guy years before... his "company" hired 2 guys out of college, had HIM train them, then tells him to take early retirement ( he's barely 50)... or be fired!!! how bout that!?? LOL
but anyway, glad you found something quick!!!! wait till your in your 60's with 40 years of experience, a 4year degree, and nrt even be able to make $20,000 per year! LOL

I'm sure you know who your bosses competitors are. You bring a wealth of knowledge and abilities with you, and a lot of inside information. The most important thing you can do is network, you never know where the strands will lead. Go in feeling confident and I know good things will happen. All the best.

great news!!!!!!!
" shocked how he was treated??". just follow the money trail. !!
similar deal with me 3 years ago, the scumbag boss told me, " your replacement is younger and CHEAPER!" LOL WOW how I wish I had tape recorder going when he said that!! LOL!!
and get this one.. I had worked with this guy years before... his "company" hired 2 guys out of college, had HIM train them, then tells him to take early retirement ( he's barely 50)... or be fired!!! how bout that!?? LOL
but anyway, glad you found something quick!!!! wait till your in your 60's with 40 years of experience, a 4year degree, and nrt even be able to make $20,000 per year! LOL

Damn that would suck. I have 25 a year in just house and car payments.

you are right, at least you will have some pork up in the pan :D

hopefully you get a bigger money job soon, bro

Well, you wake up in the mornin',
You hear the work bell ring,
And they march you to the table to see the same old thing.
Ain't no food upon the table, and no pork up in the pan.
But you better not complain, boy,
You get in trouble with the man.

CHORUS:
Let the Midnight Special shine a light on me,
Let the Midnight Special shine a everlovin' light on me.

Yonder come miss Rosie, how in the world did you know?
By the way she wears her apron, and the clothes she wore.
Umbrella on her shoulder, piece of paper in her hand;
She come to see the gov'nor, she wants to free her man.

CHORUS

If you're ever in Houston, well, you better do the right;
You better not gamble, there, you better not fight, at all
Or the sheriff will grab ya and the boys will bring you down.
The next thing you know, boy, Oh! You're prison bound.

CHORUS

CHORUS

Walked in to work this morning like so many mornings before(33 years worth) and got the axe.No severance package ,no weeks pay, just a your services are no longer needed.With a daughter in college and mortgage and 3 car payments i,m devastated and speechless.I was promised a job forever.Still in shock. Boss could have at least warned me.

Wow man, I am so sorry...employers always want and expect loyalty of their employees but it never seems to go the other way around.:finga:

Awful glad you found something.

Hope this is a blessing in disguise and you will find something even better! Im sure with your background that any number of different options will be available! Praying that something really great comes along before the ink even dries on that BS pink slip!! Geof

Prayers & Best wishes Pete. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

This bothers me a bunch:
What kills me is your boss protected himself by not letting you get your journeyman's. Which would just make you a stronger employee. Keep your head up!

Frankie is spot on:
What ever you do, be sure to file for Unemployment benefits. I know that's not an answer, but it is an bandage that will keep food on the table, and some bills paid without going into your savings.
Again, best wishes Pete, don't let the turkeys get you down.

Here's some pic's to cheer you up:

http://theblogformen.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/office-space-gangsta-e1330091213817.jpg

http://www.demotivationalposters.ne...e-space-demotivational-poster-1217556355.jpeg

http://amagico.com/images/img9/office-space-milton-meme-background-1.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-D7P7UY08jCE/UilKG85O6pI/AAAAAAAACQg/vhTjZ74tLW4/s1600/HelloMailman.jpg

http://www.troll.me/images/fat-ninja/revenge-of-the-fupa.jpg

http://funnymama.com/store/120905/106298_v0_460x.jpg

-
Back