Hate to ask what may be a dumb question

-

boosted

Life Needs Air
Reaction score
How are the grill and surround assembly held in on a 1967 Barracuda? I need to take my passenger side out for a little massaging back to normal.

Attachments

• IMG_20160319_100736731.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 279
grilles have threaded studs through the header panel all the way around. You'll probably break a few of rusted studs when trying to remove those nuts.

I have the best luck getting the grill surrounds out by removing the header panel and grills
as an assembly. Clean and soak the studs before putting a socket to them as they are easy to destroy. Saves you from having to replace/ repair them. They take a 11/32 socket.

Please know there just aint no easy way. To pull the header panel assembly means pulling the bumper. 4 big bolts at frame rails may not be a problem but the little stabilizers on the corners can be a PITA and paint scratchers.
When going back together, the bolt ears on the header panel are like shark teeth on fender paint. You'll need to fully close the hood to set that gap/ body line.

Take pictures!

I e never owned one but do now! And I have to assemble the puzzle's nose.
LMAO! I have zero clue on what I'm doing.

Is there a body/chassis book that I can purchase/download?

Yea I don't think this car has to worry with paint scratches to much...

I see. In that case I would plan the renew both grilles completely, replacing all their mounting studs.

hey boosted...

here's a couple of pics of one of the grills on one of my 68s during restoration. 67-69 barracuda grills all went on the same way.

if you want to pull both grill assemblies off at one time, there are two bolts on each side of the header panel beside each headlight on the fenders and two bolts down where the valance pan (bumper area) is. removing these four bolts will remove the header panel and grill assembly in one piece.

you can remove each grill assembly from the header panel but the attaching bolts are very small and almost always break off.

below are two pics showing the grill assembly holes on the header and the small bolts on the grill.

Attachments

• 68 grill section.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 179
  • holes for grills.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 160
The factory nuts are interference type lock nuts. Here it is almost 50 years later and it is very easy to break the studs off because of the death grip the nuts have on them. Mopar engineers were VERY anal about things like that and sometimes tended to over-do things. Really? These nuts are going to vibrate off?

Last time I did this I had the header panel on a bench with the grilles still in them. I actually used a Dremel tool with a small cut-off wheel to cut through the nuts enough that they practically fell off. I was able to save every stud doing it that way.

Then really going to extremes, I replaced the factory studs with stainless steel ones I made from machine screws with the heads cut off. Then I used brass nuts. Lot of work but they'll come off anytime I want them to.

Only Dumb Question is the one you failed to ask.
Contact partsmonsta. The fish is his baby.

-
Back