Have any of you guys installed any of the fuel injected system carbs?

-

fuzzman

Reaction score
My question is has anyone installed the fuel injection carb systems in there cars? If so what are your thoughts on it? Do you like the results? I know these systems are pricey but was curious after installing them are the results worth it? LIke to here any comments anyone has on this subject. Does it make the car a better cursier around town? Like most Mopars is the car still cold blooded at first start up or does it start right up and go like the new cars?
Pat Faley
67 notchback Barracuda
69 convertible project
East Peoria IL

Fuel injection can be expensive or economical.
I have been showing guys how to convert from a carb for years.
The difference can be night and day.
There are really no more tune ups if the system is set up correctly. Only the changing of bad parts like filters, plugs and wires. Tune up intervals on modern cars are 50-100k now.
A standard old designed engine works very well with a TBI style conversion.
It works just like a carb and bolts on top of the manifold. You need to make sure the system provides fuel and timing control. It's a waste to buy an aftermarket EFI system that is fuel only. You are only getting 1/2 the benefit of the conversion.

Because the system uses an O2 sensor and normally a map sensor it automatically corrects for changes in weather, altitude, and even a dirty filter. So you avg MPG will always be higher with a proper EFI system.

There is really no comparison in drivability. You turn the key any time of year and drop in gear and drive. No warm up required.

I prefer, and design all my system around the factory GM systems. I'm not a GM guy but they are the most common so parts are everywhere.
After market systems may be fine for some but many have limits on tuning(I know, they say they self tune but read the installation manual online first). The real issue comes when you break a part on the road and need to get a replacement. Where do you get it and how long does it take.

Using factory based systems the parts are readily avail and very reliable.

Lots of opinions out there, this is just my .02.

Edit: this applies to the 4cyl, 6cyls(yes the 170 and 225), and the V8's

By "fuel injection" carb do you mean TBI I guess? (Throttle Body Injection?)

My first "getting wet" was a used Holley 2D which is a poor excuse, the controller

Next I found a used Holley Commander 950 for less than 400 bucks. This worked OK, but since I have no one to help run a laptop, there was only so far I could take this

I thought about a Megasquirt controller, "and still might" but ended up upgrading the Commander ECU to the newer Holley HP system which is "self learning." This works pretty well.

Any of the above systems except the 2D can also be converted in several directions from TBI to multiport. Any except the 2D can be used with or without spark control, can be triggered by distributor or crank trigger, in other words lots of configuration options. Both the Commander and Holley HP have built in RPM limiters, don't know about Megasquirt.

I think we need more details on what you are trying to do. There are a number of systems, all expensive (from where I sit) if turnkey

As Bill said, if you can do at least some / all of the hardware work, you can save some coin.

Some of my previous ramblings

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=198603

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=209528

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970081758

There is plenty of info to be found on the www. Accel, FAST, something ? XEFI?, Edelbrock, Holley, and others all make aftermarket systems to some degree

Comp cams EZ efi is an excellent bolt on and go system. Even the first gen without ignition control works extremely well.

No I mean the kind that you can buy from Summit or Jegs that you just buy the kit and all your injecters are in the carb and you have to install a inline pump and a sensor in the exhaust cost about 2,100.00 like i said pricey.

Bill
have you used this system? if you have what do you think? I did email them and told them what size motor i have and asked if they could give me some suggestions as to what i would need to do this conversion. I'm basically tired of trying to tune my quick fuel carb ii has driven me nuts all summer.
Pat Faley
67 Barracuda Notchback
69 barracuda convertible project
East Peoria, IL

No I mean the kind that you can buy from Summit or Jegs that you just buy the kit and all your injecters are in the carb and you have to install a inline pump and a sensor in the exhaust cost about 2,100.00 like i said pricey.

I believe I know what you mean, but any of those I've seen are very proprietary, that is, you just might not get parts when you need 'em 5, 10 years from now. Those are essentially TBI (Throttle Body Injection)

Even the Holley TBI has changed the type of injectors they use. If you look at the photos in the links of my projects, the older 2BBL TBI Holley uses the old style injectors, which you cannot get, really, anymore.

That's where Bill's approach to using junkyard GM stuff has some merit---you will be able to get that stuff, because it was used on a BUNCH of cars and trucks, OEM

i have powerjection iii on my car. I finally got it squared away and drove it last week. Its easily the best upgrade i've ever done to the car.

-
Back