Have title/No 69 dart.

-

69DARTWANTED

Reaction score
Hello fellow A body fans. I'm a newbie on this site, but not to the Mopar world. I've owned a dozen or more b bodies, but I'm trying to figure out a strategy to acquire a 69 dart.

I've posted in lost and found already, I'm looking for a 69 Dart 340 car VIN: LM23P9B187902

This car was originally bought new by a family friend in 1969. He learned of my Mopar obsession, and gave me the title to his long lost car. At any rate, I've exhausted my resources to locate the car. (last seen just a couple years ago near Madison Wisconsin)

My question: Can I buy another car....title or not and convert the tags to make a legit 69 340 4-speed car? Is this even legal?

If not...is there any value to this title I have at all????

Any opinions, insight or related experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Don't you just go down to the DMV and file for a "lost car" ? ;) Hate to ask the obvious but have you run the VIN in the system to see if has been registered?

I'd say there's no value at all to the title (unless you're hoping to be able to 'steal' the car you have the title to, which obviously would not be cool lol).
And, no, it wouldn't be legal to take a different car and put that VIN on it.

The circumstances of how the car was "lost" would be a good thing to know. If it was reported stolen and you tried to register a car with that VIN an NCIC hit would get you a lot of attention you don't want and probably a very passionate same sex cell mate!

^^^ everything they said. You're only hope in using that title is to find the car and buy it back - and even then, you'll have to get a new title as the one you have is surely null and void.. it might make an interesting conversation piece in a frame on the wall in your garage....

The family friends parents passed away. The car was in a barn out back for 20 plus years at the time. He sold the family farm and told the new owners he would remove the car. Well, a couple years came and went.....the car didn't move. So the new owners gave it to a mopar guy in the area. He sold the car with a bill of sale about 2 years ago.

as happened to a LOT of 340 cars - I'm betting the motor and possibly the trans were removed - - the car was probably parted out to some degree... :violent1: I personally had my hand on the fender of a 1970 Scamp 340 in the mid 80's - the guy died and his wife sold the car to a local garage - guess what they did with it... :violent1::violent1::wack: - it haunts me to this day.
The family friends parents passed away. The car was in a barn out back for 20 plus years at the time. He sold the family farm and told the new owners he would remove the car. Well, a couple years came and went.....the car didn't move. So the new owners gave it to a mopar guy in the area. He sold the car with a bill of sale about 2 years ago.

I wonder what might happen if you then registered that title in your name and waited for someone to try and do the same..... You would have the upper hand. The issue would be in the signatures on the transfer. It is more likely the car was crushed or salvaged and that would be a problem.

The story I was told was it sold for $2000 as a roller. The guy that bought it has another dart, rotted out, and needed a solid shell. I've done everything from door knocking, newspaper ads, A-bodies only lost and found etc, etc. I think the guy with the car doesn't want to be found. I don't think he did anything wrong, I'd just like to have that car. I'd be willing to pay good money for it.

Sounds like that car is wearing the VIN of the rotted out car in which case you are SOL.

Here's the thing...........just because you have 'a' title does not mean you have THE title, I will explain

Here, EG, Idaho, let's say I own a car, and lose the title. It's not entirely lost, just misplaced. I die, my whoever gets legal whatever and they go to the DMV and file whatever paperwork and sell the car

THIS LAST paperwork now becomes the LEGAL binding information on the car. Maybe "they" were able to file for a "lost" title and got a state issued copy. THAT LAST title then becomes the binding title.

The old one is nothing but a colored piece of paper.

Now if "your" car was ILLEGALLY sold out of the barn, that would be a different matter, depending on who's name is on the title and the circumstances.

From your description it sounds to me like you have nothing more than a piece of paper. If no person can be legally attached to the NAME on the title, that is what it is, because whoever that name is or whoever the legal guardian is that holds that legal power, is the only person who can TRANSFER the title.

There is a member here had his dart and charger stolen then sold. I can't think of his name at the moment but he did get his dart back after a long time.

There is a member here had his dart and charger stolen then sold. I can't think of his name at the moment but he did get his dart back after a long time.

was that the one that had a police officer involved somehow (on the wrong side of the law)?

You sir, Have a conversation piece and nothing more. A piece of history and trying to use it for anything other than that will bring you very bad juju. Period.

-
Back