have you ever noticed...?

-

ramenth

Gratis persona
Reaction score
Driving through road construction the guy ahead of you, in his big bad SUV or 4x4 pick 'em up, drives over the bumps at about 1mph, or avoids them all together? Why did you buy a 4x to begin with if your afraid to hit a few potholes? Hell, I've seen 'em drive around manhole covers!

Someone coming the opposite way on the street will come into your lane to go around a parked car? You mean they'd rather hit me head on than go around a parked car by a few inches?

That most tailgaters are women?

That most tuners slip the hell out of the clutch on take off?

The overusage of stick on hood "scopes?" Do they come with the double stick tape or do you have to buy that seperately? I'm mean come on, I've seen these things used on everything from V8 powered pick ups to 4 cylinder powered rusted out Honda Civics...

The kid who has a 4 cylinder powered Camaro or Mustang thinks he's a badass just because the car says "Camaro" or "Mustang."

That once upon a time we used to put badges or stickers on the car with engine callouts, now kids badge or decal the car to say what kind of stereo they have?

The one guy in the area who wants to be cool, but doesn't get it? I've seen an '80s Pontiac Grand Am painted up like the General Lee, complete with spray bomb paint job...

we got one of those guys with the new charger painted like the general lee and it's not even the right shade of orange and looks as ugly as my mother in law

on the 4x4 note I assume your talking about the big lifted new trucks that really never see the dirt at all... I call them pseudo-four wheelers. I am sure the dude in the jacked up beat up '77 dodge doesnt go around... heck... he throttles the sucker to see if he can smack his head on the roof of his truck.

Lund makes a killing on the "stick on" hood scoops..... and they make your vehicle faster .. dont ya know ?

-RPM

I love seeing the odd Civic or Integra with shiney new 17" rims with tires having only 1/2" sidewall, a 4" exhaust tip that makes the car sound like a low flying Cessena and more rust in the fenderlips than a field car.

I mean, do they think it looks that cool?:wack:

oh, and the exhaust tip is melting the rear bumper and the bad or no color match, front bumper replacement is falling off because they have no skills!

I can appreciate a tuner done right. It's not my thing, but I would not discourage a new generation of auto hobbyists, but do some homework and do it right.

That reminds me. The other day a freind of my son asked what my he thought about a stroker kit for his Geo Metro. My son laughed at him.

And trucker turns by compact cars ... they don't need to hug the left lane to make a right hand turn.

i have seen this old rusted out datsun b210 around spokane. has this big, gigantic scoop made out of cereal boxes held down with duct tape, this wing made out of plywood and conduit on the trunk lid and several, what appear to be large coffee cans held up by wire over his exhuast. first time i seen it had a mouthful of coffee and you can imagine what happened......

"Driving through road construction the guy ahead of you, in his big bad SUV or 4x4 pick 'em up, drives over the bumps at about 1mph, or avoids them all together? Why did you buy a 4x to begin with if your afraid to hit a few potholes? Hell, I've seen 'em drive around manhole covers!"

We call those trucks, "Grocery Trucks" here. They are mostly bowties, blue ovals and imports.

Jack

The "Urban 4x4s" have to go slow over the potholes becasue the ridiculously big rims and low profile tires have no ability to cushion the ride anymore.

They do that so there car wont stall when they go. Them 4 bangers just don't make enough HP. I am always stalling my girl friends Neon.

I gotta tell you this one! I live on a hill, almost to the top..not really too bad. About 2 years ago we had a bad snow storm, maybe 12-15 inches. The roads were plowed but had 5 inches or so of new snow. At the bottom of the hill sat 5 4X4 suv's, they wouldn't even try! I buzzed by them in my old Grand Am and made it to the top! WHY did they even buy those beasts? I've lived here since 1978 and always made it up the hill with 2 wheel drive.

In all fairness my generation does not have the variety of muscle cars at the price like you older folks back in the day had. I grew up next to a junkyard and remember all the nice rods that were crushed in the 80's. I think these kids are having some fun with what they got, like me with my 2.2 liter Dodge Turismo in high school. That car was BADASS!!!

I gotta tell you this one! I live on a hill, almost to the top..not really too bad. About 2 years ago we had a bad snow storm, maybe 12-15 inches. The roads were plowed but had 5 inches or so of new snow. At the bottom of the hill sat 5 4X4 suv's, they wouldn't even try! I buzzed by them in my old Grand Am and made it to the top! WHY did they even buy those beasts? I've lived here since 1978 and always made it up the hill with 2 wheel drive.

yep I always laugh when I pass all the big 4x4 cars in my mom's '03 subaru leg GT. The only time I have ever gotten stuck was right after they plowed the road and I got high centered on a snow bank other than that the 5spd lsd all wheel drive kicks ***.

Driving through road construction the guy ahead of you, in his big bad SUV or 4x4 pick 'em up, drives over the bumps at about 1mph, or avoids them all together? Why did you buy a 4x to begin with if your afraid to hit a few potholes? Hell, I've seen 'em drive around manhole covers!

Someone coming the opposite way on the street will come into your lane to go around a parked car? You mean they'd rather hit me head on than go around a parked car by a few inches?

The overusage of stick on hood "scopes?" Do they come with the double stick tape or do you have to buy that seperately? I'm mean come on, I've seen these things used on everything from V8 powered pick ups to 4 cylinder powered rusted out Honda Civics...

The kid who has a 4 cylinder powered Camaro or Mustang thinks he's a badass just because the car says "Camaro" or "Mustang."

That once upon a time we used to put badges or stickers on the car with engine callouts, now kids badge or decal the car to say what kind of stereo they have?

The one guy in the area who wants to be cool, but doesn't get it? I've seen an '80s Pontiac Grand Am painted up like the General Lee, complete with spray bomb paint job...
yes and i call them dumbass

what it boils down to is people simply cannot and should not be driving. its been snowing here in michigan for a long time and people still don't get it.

as for the stick on hood scoops, i don't hesitate to lay on the sarcasm as thick as possible. ask them if they gained any horsepower and tell them they must have cuz it looks soooo much faster when they drive past. my thinking is you're supposed to hide the power adders, not pretend that you have them.

We call those pretend 4x4s "Mall Crawlers" out here. :)
I recall seeing a humorous thread on one of the Jeep forums about meeting up by JC Penney to air-down the tires and then do some extreme off-road action (rolling up on those concrete blocks in front of parking spaces) in front of the food court entrance. There should be a magazine for such things for the sole purpose of mocking these guys. :)

That reminds me. The other day a freind of my son asked what my he thought about a stroker kit for his Geo Metro. My son laughed at him.
He could probably offset grind the crank for another 7cc. It might hang with <150cc scooters with related modifications. A 250 shot of "NOS" (a term that I loathe) could be thrown in for good measure.

i have seen this old rusted out datsun b210 around spokane. has this big, gigantic scoop made out of cereal boxes held down with duct tape, this wing made out of plywood and conduit on the trunk lid and several, what appear to be large coffee cans held up by wire over his exhuast. first time i seen it had a mouthful of coffee and you can imagine what happened......
I've been musing about doing similar things for years. Mine would have an ironing board or picnic table bolted to the decklid and a mailbox strapped to the hood. The 1/4" plywood body kit (attached with deck screws, of course) would really set it off. Several cans of yellow Krylon would add more power than any reasonable person could ever use. 8)

They didn't make 4 cylinder Camaros, guess you really are a Mopar guy :-D

Why would anyone purposely drive over a raised man hold cover and aim directly for bumps..i own a 4x4 but i own it for going through the snow in the winter which it does qutie well...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-generation_Chevrolet_Camaro
1982. Three models were available: Sport Coupe, Berlinetta, and Z28.
The Sport Coupe came standard with the 2.5 L 151 cid LQ9 four cylinder engine.

yes sir they did, pieces of crap too- http://www.thirdgen.org/1982-chevy-camaro

You have got to be shittin me, I didn't realize they ever stooped so low, I was sure they always had at least a six in them. I stand corrected :munky2:

You have got to be shittin me, I didn't realize they ever stooped so low, I was sure they always had at least a six in them. I stand corrected :munky2:
Yep. A guy in high school had an '82 Firebird with the venerable 4-cylinder. It would almost scratch the tires over going uphill on wet ice.

Like to add a couple of ever notice items ...

The people in the jacked - up four by's are afraid to drop a wheel off a curb ? Probably scared of ruining their chrome wheel$ . I go around them in My bone stock pickup .

Also why does the guy in the construction zone holding the "SLOW" sign wave you past like your driving too slow ? :rolleyes:

As far as the stick on doo dads go .
I look at it this way .HotRodders are always trying to see what they can remove from their car to make it lighter and faster. While the "tuner" generation is always looking for more items to stick on their ride to make it look faster . Or just get more attention. It's gotta be louder brighter and flashier than the next Guy's . What they'll eventually figure out is the most attention they'll get is from the police .

-
Back