Have you ever seen any Dart, Valiant, Demon or Duster with a rear window defroster?

-
^^^^^
Yeah, but it is COLD.
I don't like to have multiple layers of clothes on to do things. Maybe it is a form of claustrophobia or something. I hate feeling bogged down with a lot of clothes on. I HATED wearing the safety harnesses at work in construction too. Hardhats? BOOOooo! Boots? BOOOoooo! Long pants? BOOOOoo. Most of my career, I was dressed like this:

IMG_1258.JPG

I hate wearing gloves to keep from freezing. I hate cold and wet clothes.
Here, I visit the snow, then go back home.
I like green grass. I like sunshine.
Yesterday it was 50 but overcast. It was still colder than I like.
I'm not a desert rat...I don't thrive in 120 degree temperatures but I can deal with that in small doses.
I didn't grow up with the cold and snow like many others have. Maybe you just acclimated to it and it didn't bother you.
Sometimes, you just know what you would and would not like or be able to tolerate.
I know I wouldn't like a vegan diet. I wouldn't like living in a prison. I wouldn't want to live in a big city either.

I wonder how tough it would be to put a heat element in one of those rear window defogger set ups? it could be put in line in the big blower hose in a steel shell. You would need a fail safe that kept it from over heating...

I wonder how tough it would be to put a heat element in one of those rear window defogger set ups? it could be put in line in the big blower hose in a steel shell. You would need a fail safe that kept it from over heating...
Do it like Mother Mopar did and run some heater hoses back there with an extra heater core.

I have never seen any sort of rear window defroster in any A body, ever. None with the blower motor in the speaker deck, none with the grid embedded in the glass itself. How can that be? I've never seen any dash switches for them on any A body either. How is that possible if they existed?

Because you're not the center of the Mopar universe? LOL. Just kidding. Likely a rare option in California.

My 72 Demon has the rear defogger, and a friend of mine has a 73 Dart Sport with the rear defroster, electric that is.
:rofl:

For a guy that talked about moving, you sound pretty pro-California now Greg.

Oh, I love most everything about where I live except the government.
We are still looking but nothing we have seen meets our needs completely.
I'd bet there are even fewer Dusters with defoggers in Arizona!

I have a 69 340 swinger that came factory equipped with rear defogger/deicer. It's a two speed blower fan style. I'll try and post a pic of the switch, also IIRC it says "rear air" .
OK here we have a Hamtramck built 340 auto swinger that was in cox creek Kentucky for at least the first 15 years of its life equipped with rear defogger and factory A/C. So not a northern climate or a desert climate but someone was concerned with both heat and frost. Go figure

20240306_122507.jpg

I remember seeing an A body in a salvage yard in the late '90's that had it, but the blower was up on end and the bracket that held it went from the speaker shelf down to the trunk pan. It was right behind the cross bracing.

I distinctly remember it because I was like, 'what the hell?' and it took me a minute to figure out what it was. The back seat was torn out and I saw it from the front seat. I remember the center of the blower motor facing forward.

1709748297875.png

Oh, I love most everything about where I live except the government.
We are still looking but nothing we have seen meets our needs completely.
I'd bet there are even fewer Dusters with defoggers in Arizona!
Here in New Orleans area I pulled quite a few out of A and E bodies still have one or 2 of each.
All blower types

This subject came up on the FMJ forum. A member there mentioned that in New York, cars that are model year 1974 and later are required to have rear window defrosters. They have a few exclusions but it got me curious...
I have never seen any sort of rear window defroster in any A body, ever. None with the blower motor in the speaker deck, none with the grid embedded in the glass itself. How can that be? I've never seen any dash switches for them on any A body either. How is that possible if they existed?
I had a few Camaro and Firebirds from 1970-78 year models and none of them had them either.
Sure, I'm in California but we get Nevada cars here, it snows in Tahoe and Reno. Of the 70 cars and trucks that I have owned, only the '85 Camaro and '83 Nissan Sentra wagon had them.
I've seen the speaker deck blower motor in B and C bodies, but never an A body.
Have you ever seen one? Do you know the option code for them?
Yes my 69 GTS came with a rear window defroster.

Years ago I got a bunch of parts from somebody’s shed for a 65 Barracuda. There was a rear defogger in that pile.

My 70 duster was originally a gold duster package. It came with some options, sport front seat(head rest, arm rest), rear window defroster, rear speaker cutouts. Soon after I talked my mom into a 73 gold duster, none of the above, but map light, trunk light, glove box light. So I preceeded to find all the harnesses I needed to add all the options she had to my car. My car is now a 340 duster with all the gold duster options.

This subject came up on the FMJ forum. A member there mentioned that in New York, cars that are model year 1974 and later are required to have rear window defrosters. They have a few exclusions but it got me curious...
I had a few Camaro and Firebirds from 1970-78 year models and none of them had them either.
Sure, I'm in California but we get Nevada cars here, it snows in Tahoe and Reno. Of the 70 cars and trucks that I have owned, only the '85 Camaro and '83 Nissan Sentra wagon had them.
Have you ever seen one? Do you know the option code for them?
I have one in a box that I took out of a Dart years ago. Don't remember what year it was. There is a switch for the dash, to operate it, I recall. Motor with a small duct to fit in the center of the package tray.

I found build sheets on top of glove boxs, under seats (front and rear), under carpet and best of all, on the top of the fuel tank, outside of the car. One car I found three.
I parted out one car that had it's build sheet in the typical place in the rear seat back springs, but, also 5 more under the rear seat bottom from 5 different cars built that day. Must have been one of the last cars assembled that day and the installer needed to sweep up his work station.

From rear window froster and defoggers to build sheets…. This thread has taken a turn…..

electric defroster came in 1973 before that it was a blower defroster have it in my 1970 Dart

Have you ever seen one? Do you know the option code for them? In Canada and maybe the northern part of the U.S.A. it is quite common and if anything odd to not see one. I have a 1969 Cuda and i have it in my parts room as it is being resto restored now. Not sure how to send you a photo but i do have it and will not reinstall it as in the winter i drive a 2500 4x4

My 1965 Barracuda has a blower motor in the back to blow air on that HUGE glass. No heat, just air. The under dash switch was missing when I rebought the car in 1986 but read "Rear Blower" if I remember.

My mom had the dealer install a heater core from a mail order place like JC Whitney and they ran the heater hoses under the car with a cable controlled shut off valve. It all was missing when I got the car back.

-
Back