Have you ever...

-

65LoveAffair

Whovian
Reaction score
...ended up getting hired into a job you never expected? I have been out of work for almost 5 years, due to a combination of college classes, caring for my wife as a result of a couple of auto accidents, and just general economic instability in my hometown. Luckily the house and cars are paid for! Anyway, I entered into a course provided by a county employment agency that offers occupational training in various areas. Since my city is a manufacturing city (multiple grain processing factories and a Caterpillar assembly factory, among others), the course I entered was to learn manufacturing fundamentals with the ultimate goal of finding a job with one of the local manufacturers.

While we are in this program, they set us up with interviews with local companies so we can get some practical training along side our classroom training. I was sent to a machine shop, but I have no welding or metal lathe experience. However, since I do have a lot of computer experience, they decided they were going to train me on how to use AutoCAD and help them design the parts that they produce. This is not something that I ever expected, or even really considered. In hindsight, I'm surprised I never seriously thought about it, because as I said, this is a manufacturing town. Plus, I can take this kind of knowledge and experience anywhere I go! As a bonus, it also pays rather well in the long run, too! That's always nice!

Wish me luck! I start Monday!

I have taken some AutoCAD classes. I love it...

Our local comm college has one of the top rated AutoCAD instructors in the country... His training seminars have scored 1st and 4th at the annual AutoCAD conference in Vegas each year... He's semi-retired now and I'm afraid he's going to stop teaching soon... He has been doing AutoCAD since 86 and has worked for Autodesk...

Here's a link to his youtube page if you need some extra background and instructions:

digitaljccad

If you get a student email address from your school, you can download free copies of the autodesk software on your computer to practice at home for school. You are not supposed to use it for business, but it's ok to do for school and practice... Just go to the Autodesk site and enter your student email to get the link to download...

One of my best friends designs parts and pieces for military weaponry using AutoCAD as well as a couple of other programs.
Once the part is designed he is sent to the manufacturing area where the parts are produced to oversee correct specs are achieved.
Then he is sent to assembly to make sure his parts are correctly installed and to check function.
THEN he goes out on the tests to determine if the part works well as is, or needs modification.
The last test he was on that I knew about was something to do with the tank turrets that are computer controlled and they were driving the tanks down a rough dirt road shooting 3lb coffee cans full of dirt from 90 degrees (turret turned to the side)1 mile away at 60mph.
He said the tanks were bouncing all over the place but the barrels of the cannon were steady as could be.

Sounds like fun huh? :D

He also makes insane amounts of money.

I have taken some AutoCAD classes. I love it...

Our local comm college has one of the top rated AutoCAD instructors in the country... His training seminars have scored 1st and 4th at the annual AutoCAD conference in Vegas each year... He's semi-retired now and I'm afraid he's going to stop teaching soon... He has been doing AutoCAD since 86 and has worked for Autodesk...

Here's a link to his youtube page if you need some extra background and instructions:

digitaljccad

If you get a student email address from your school, you can download free copies of the autodesk software on your computer to practice at home for school. You are not supposed to use it for business, but it's ok to do for school and practice... Just go to the Autodesk site and enter your student email to get the link to download...

I thank you for the link to his Youtube page. I have downloaded the student version of AutoCAD 2015 from the AutoDesk website. I also have the AutoCAD 2015 Essentials book, and am following along with the exercises, familiarizing myself with the program. That way when I get to my first day of work, I won't be completely clueless. I don't want to overdo it before my first day, though, because I want to make sure they are still able to train me in "their" way of doing things. Ya know what I mean?

...ended up getting hired into a job you never expected? I have been out of work for almost 5 years, due to a combination of college classes, caring for my wife as a result of a couple of auto accidents, and just general economic instability in my hometown. Luckily the house and cars are paid for! Anyway, I entered into a course provided by a county employment agency that offers occupational training in various areas. Since my city is a manufacturing city (multiple grain processing factories and a Caterpillar assembly factory, among others), the course I entered was to learn manufacturing fundamentals with the ultimate goal of finding a job with one of the local manufacturers.

While we are in this program, they set us up with interviews with local companies so we can get some practical training along side our classroom training. I was sent to a machine shop, but I have no welding or metal lathe experience. However, since I do have a lot of computer experience, they decided they were going to train me on how to use AutoCAD and help them design the parts that they produce. This is not something that I ever expected, or even really considered. In hindsight, I'm surprised I never seriously thought about it, because as I said, this is a manufacturing town. Plus, I can take this kind of knowledge and experience anywhere I go! As a bonus, it also pays rather well in the long run, too! That's always nice!

Wish me luck! I start Monday!
Best of luck, 65, Momma, Fraidy,& Fabo....

At 69 I went back to work part time. 28 hrs a week. I nearly had the "same stroke" of luck. I've been looking on/off for awhile, but refuse anything to do with "waiting on the pubic."

I thank you for the link to his Youtube page. I have downloaded the student version of AutoCAD 2015 from the AutoDesk website. I also have the AutoCAD 2015 Essentials book, and am following along with the exercises, familiarizing myself with the program. That way when I get to my first day of work, I won't be completely clueless. I don't want to overdo it before my first day, though, because I want to make sure they are still able to train me in "their" way of doing things. Ya know what I mean?

Why are you using AutoCAD2015, they are on 2018 already???

Is the company you're working for using 2015??? The 2015 3 year student license will expire soon if not already...

I use 2016 at home...

They go in three year 'bundles" with the autodesk applications... For three years consecutive, they are usually very compatible...

Let me know if you need any tips.. I learned on 2015...

Why are you using AutoCAD2015, they are on 2018 already???

Is the company you're working for using 2015??? The 2015 3 year student license will expire soon if not already...

I use 2016 at home...

They go in three year 'bundles" with the autodesk applications... For three years consecutive, they are usually very compatible...

Let me know if you need any tips.. I learned on 2015...
The guy that hired me wasn't sure which version they have, as he isn't one of the engineers. He said it was "relatively recent" but not as new as 2017, which I also have. Figured I'd go through the 2015 version and the 2015 Essentials book for now so I don't just spin my wheels and shoot in the dark my first day. I'll find out which version they use tomorrow, and go from there.

Karl, thanks for the offer of help. I may take you up on that!

Last edited:
-
Back