Having trouble removing an axle shaft

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
I recently purchased a new set of Moser A body 8 3/4, 5 x 4.5" bolt pattern axles, so I am in the process of removing the original SBP axles. I removed the driver's side axle no problem, but the passenger side is stuck. All 5 nuts are off, the flange is loose, the shaft moves in and out about a 1/4" or so, but the axle will not come out. It's almost like the bearing is catching on something. Anyone have any suggestions?

Oh, I have removed them and put them back in once before, so I know they have both come out. This was about 3 years ago.

Take the drum, turn it around mount on studs and run a couple of nuts down on it. Use it like a slidehammer.

Take the drum, turn it around mount on studs and run a couple of nuts down on it. Use it like a slidehammer.

Yup and sometimes THAT is not enough. The recommended tool is a big assed slide hammer

21IelIm%2BJfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

We got it, used a come-along, mounted one end to a main supporting beam in the garage ( ;) ), and hooked the other to the axle. Then put tension on it, and I leaned against the car so it wouldn't tip off its jack stands, then tapped on it with a hammer. Real safe.

Take a chain 3/8 or 1/2 atleast 6 ft long, bolt it to your lug bolt. Get some slack in it then whip it up and down while you snach on it. Wear gloves or use a shop towell. Works ever time.

-
Back