having trouble verifying numbers matching or not...?

-

Chryslerkid

Reaction score
hi everyone,

my very limited knowledge is preventing me from figuring this simple question out:

Are my motor and transmission both numbers matching to my car?

I have a 1968 Plymouth Barracuda. I have already been able to decode the VIN to figure out the original setup of the vehicle.

Can someone please take me through how I go about finding/figuring out if the engine and transmission are original to this car?

Thanks!

:burnout::burnout:

Not all 1968 engines & transmissions were stamped with partial VINs.

IF the engine was stamped, it will be at the back on top of the bellhousing mounting flange.

IF it has an automatic transmission, the number will be on the bellhousing flange near the engine number.

IF it has a manual transmission, look on the passenger side of the case.

I thought the engines were stamped on a pad on the lower right side of the block.

that is assuming its a V8 ....what if its a six then it will be on the block where the head and block meet on the rear spark plug side.

thanks for all the info guys! i went through the other forum and it was super helpful. I am going to go through and check the numbers on the engine and transmission in the next couple of days.

Hi guys
I pulled the engine and transmission. I cleaned the areas specified in other forums to verify the numbers on the block. It appears that there are no numbers to verify the VIN...? This should in theory be a 1968 318 out of my barracuda.

Pic

2CD272BD-8726-4502-9716-37368ACA54A9.jpeg

Vin would be stamped, not cast. Pan rail somewhere I've been told "matching" was not until 69

Clean that pad under the drain hole plug & get a clear photo of it.

Also look for another series of numbers on the front of the block, right below the drivers side head surface. A clear photo of it would help too.

In 68 look on the TOP of the flange where the engine and transmission bolt together (near the oil pressure sender/switch)

Early 68's may not have been stamped.

Alan

The new model year came out in July, so they had to have cars built to sell so 68 made parts were installed in 69 cars. Check the number on the flat pad above the oil pan rail on the passenger side and let us know what it is. Kim

my 1968 340 is like the one posted by 65Val.....currently they are not together - my trannie is out at the moment....

-
Back