HDK w/ Big block

-

weekend

Reaction score
Hi all. I have a 71 dart with a 440 race car that I installed the HDK front end in last winter. I used Andy F's motor plate, which mounts the engine at factory height and when I went to install the rack using the HDK provided spacers, the rack hits the pan, Milodon center sump 30931. I removed the rack spacers so I could race, but now during the off season, I would like to figure this out.
Can anybody measure and tell me how high the big block in their a abody is from the HDK k member?
I have looked at Younggun's install thread and he uses the HDK motor mounts and his rack fits fine with the spacers.
I also have a bump steer problem. Would that be caused by the rack being too far forward?

Thanks for the help,
Mike

how long were the spacers provided?....and how much did you take off?...on bump steer, it would depend how far you moved the rack forward.

Up and down on the rack has the biggest effect.

Not sure where Andy F considers the crank shaft centerline at...since there were really no factory 440 a bodies, just the Hurst built cars.

Get a hold of me....more than happy to figure it out.
[email protected]
304-939-0097

Last edited:
how long were the spacers provided?....and how much did you take off?...on bump steer, it would depend how far you moved the rack forward.

Up and down on the rack has the biggest effect.

Not sure where Andy F considers the crank shaft centerline at...since there were really no factory 440 a bodies, just the Hurst built cars.

Get a hold of me....more than happy to figure it out.
[email protected]
304-939-0097
Denny, I lowered the k member as you suggested and that allowed room to put the spacers back in with good clearance. I'll get it apart and shipped back. I'll call you for the shipping address. Thanks for your prompt support. Great service!

-
Back