Head bolt Re-Torquing

-

Mopar367

Reaction score
I built a fairly stock 8.6-1 compression 440 with iron heads. I used steel shim .020 head gaskets with copper spray a gasket on them. I torqued the bolts properly, just wondering should I re torque after a few hundred miles on the new engine? It is a real pain in the ***, so unless its absolutely necessary I would rather not. Just wondering?

Nope, not with stock or any iron heads and if your using the stock head bolts. We cycle our head/main bolts many times and they do not need retorquing

Why?

We torque head bolts almost daily at work. We don't ask our customers to come back after a few weeks so we can re-torque their head bolts.

Don't worry about it.

I used the 12 point 440 source head bolts. Still a no on the re torquing? Its just that ill have to remove headers and brake booster to do it.

I never re torque my 340 but I did not use to steel shim, still don't think it matter..in fact the steel will less likely compress and lose torque

I did blow a head gasket once going flat out and it turns out the other head bolts were not at 80 or more lbs, more like 50 it felt like....but I did not build that engine so don't know how tight they were from day one, it did last many years and miles before blowing out

Oh how the white smoke poured out on the freeway from the exhaust, I believe everybody who seen me thought my engine was done in. I replaced the gasket and was back on the road in 2 days, lol....lucky I didn't hydo lock the piston, I drove it 5 miles home like that cause me too thought the motor was done

As was said - No need to re-torque with iron and bolts. Part of the reason I built my running stand was so retorques using aluminum heads could be done cleanly and easilly...lol. They are a PITA...

I read it somewhere in a old chassis manual, or somewhere along the way. Just thought I would see what other people thought. As I though it was a bunch or work for nothing.

-
Back