Head Bolt Torque?

-

ozymail01

Reaction score
Hay Guys! Been working for two years on this engine and finally got it started last weekend. Fired it up again today and noticed a coolant leak on the head gasket. two questions: 1) Is it possible to jsut torque the head bolts down to stop this? It's only ran for a total of about 20 min. (note: the engine rebuild shop installed the head) 2) What is the torque for the slant 6 head (1975 duster 225).

Thanks....Ozymail

Look closely and make sure the leak is infact the head gasket and not a manifold stud that screws into a water jacket.

it may be the manifold stud. Didn't know these screwed into the water jacket. Installer did put what looks like silicon sealant on the studs. Waht do you sugest I do to stop it of it is the stud?

Thanks for the torque numbers.

it may be the manifold stud. Didn't know these screwed into the water jacket. Installer did put what looks like silicon sealant on the studs. Waht do you sugest I do to stop it of it is the stud?

Thanks for the torque numbers.
If it is the stud?Remove it,retap it and try some teflon tape or high heat silicone!Hope this helps

P.S Or try aforementioned without manifold removal.

I know the early 60's were 70#. I helped a friend who went around at 35# first then 35# again because 35 & 35 = 70. I did set him straight after rolling on the ground.

I know the early 60's were 70#. I helped a friend who went around at 35# first then 35# again because 35 & 35 = 70. I did set him straight after rolling on the ground.

Thanks Barge! That's the funniest stuff I heard in quite some time! :cheers:

-
Back