head gaskets

-

kurt

Reaction score
i have 68 340 with eds 60779 head the block is .30 over flat top pistons with +.020 looking for good .060 thick gasket for vp clarence if some one has part# brand or what they used thank you

Felpro perma torque head gaskets are inexpensive, and around .045-.05 thick. Don't use any sealer on them, just clean the metal surfaces with brake clean and install the gasket. For the $13 price maybe try one with playdo on top of the piston. Wipe a little WD40 on the top of the playdo so it won't stick to the cyl head. Torque the head down and turn the engine over slowly by hand...don't use the starter. The thickness of the playdo will tell you piston to cyl head clearance. .040 inch would be great, plus minus a little is still ok.
If I remember right MRL used around .035 on one of their small block engines and worked fine. One of my rice burners has .038 inch clearance and runs great, turns 6000+ rpm, over 40,000 miles and no issues.

If you need a odd sized gasket,Cometic will custom make you a set.They do sting the pocket book,though,

You want to use the recommended gasket - That's the Fel Pro Performance that's .039" thick or a custom unit that has the pre-flattened ring around the bores. Otherwise the gasket will groove the head over thermal cycles and raise the potential for head gasket problems.

but my piston stick out of block .020 i thought i will need a .060 thickness

The Felpro's that 70AARCUDA posted are the thickest you will find off the shelf that I know of.
Cometic will make you whatever you want and you can get the gasket Bore alot closer than the 4.172 gasket bore that the 8553 will get you but your gunna pay for them. This is the cheapest I have found.

You will have a tight quench with the 8553 too. Piston to head clearance will be .033..... I myself would Run them!! Some say .036 but what is .003 between friends?? :D

http://4secondsflat.com/Cometic-MLS_Gaskets.html

You want to use the recommended gasket - That's the Fel Pro Performance that's .039" thick or a custom unit that has the pre-flattened ring around the bores. Otherwise the gasket will groove the head over thermal cycles and raise the potential for head gasket problems.

The Felpro 8553 is a heavy duty gasket that has a nice fire ring around the bore. I have used them before. Note the OP's pistons are .020 out of the hole.

The Felpro 8553 is a heavy duty gasket that has a nice fire ring around the bore. I have used them before. Note the OP's pistons are .020 out of the hole.

Right - but the ring is rounded steel. When you use it on an aluminum head the rounded ring does not compress. Then it causes brinelling of the head gasket surface on the head (meaning it scrubs a groove into it). Then it starts to leak. Which is why Edelbrock says to use the "preflattened ring" type.

Right - but the ring is rounded steel. When you use it on an aluminum head the rounded ring does not compress. Then it causes brinelling of the head gasket surface on the head (meaning it scrubs a groove into it). Then it starts to leak. Which is why Edelbrock says to use the "preflattened ring" type.

Gotcha. I am pretty sure the 519SD is a Pre Flattened Ring.

-
Back