Head Lamps/Turning Signal

-

vanleer mopars

Mopar or no car!
Reaction score
Hello A body Forum
I have a 1974 Plymouth Scamp which runs great, but I have noticed lately that a blue light has appeared on my dash cluster. Now I have recently replaced my turning signal wiring harness and they work perfectly, but in doing this I have notice a blue light indicator appearing on speedometer cluster. Now is this a dummy indicator notifying me that my lights are on that I have never notice before, or is this showing me that my high beams are on? If it is my high beams how do I shut it off? I tried everything turning signal, light pull switch etc.

Also I have never notice until now but also my turning signals are on now on when I turn headlamps on. Pic attached. Is this normal for this year for A body, or did replacing the turning signal wiring harness screw everything up. Also I have check grounds on radiator and battery cable.

Thank you for your time
Van Leer Mopars

Attachments

• Dash.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 179
  • Dash 2.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 197
  • Head lights.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 178
It's ya high beam indicator.
You should have running lights up front, not full-on T/S. I'd say something got mixed.

You may simply not understand how this all works, that is it sounds like it all COULD be normal

Get the car towards darkness, where you can see the headlights on something like a garage door.

Turn the headlights on and actuate the dimmer switch, and determine which is the high beams. Your blue indicator should now be on, and ONLY lit on high beams.

Now Go out and look at the signal lamps to be sure they are both lit

Turn the key on or start the engine, and turn the flasher to either left or right

What you should see is both the appropriate tail lamp and the front signal getting noticeably brighter and dimmer as the lamp flashes. With the signal lever centered, they should be "dim" which is simply the tail lamps and parking lamps.

Good replies, but they didn't answer your main question of how to turn the high-beams off. Those guys must be so old they assume "everybody knows that". There is a "dimmer switch" on the floor in front of your left foot that you press to toggle between low and high beams. It is a round shiny metal can that sticks up thru the carpet. I think all cars had them until the multi-switch turn signals started in the 80's. Well, maybe not on Saabs or Peugots.

Bill, u are the man! That's all it was. A simple push button on the floor. if u couldnt tell this is my first classic trying to restore. Now regarding my turning signals or parking lights are they on all the time. Not flashing but in conjunction with head lamps when turned on.

Cool thanks, man I love this website, answers all my questions. ill post pics later on restoration project on the Scamp. Just starting and all ready spent 1100. Oh my god!

Actually, I was confused the other way. Until I read a post here, I didn't know that the "parking lights" in my 65 Dart were not also "running lights", i.e. the low filament on with the headlights. That was true in 65 Barracudas, which was a marketing pitch for Plymouth since a great new idea. I read here that Barracuda owners could identify each at night and flash a clubby sign. Side marker lights came later in 1968 Darts, if I recall. Though I don't think yet a federal mandate since my 69 Dart just had side reflectors. My 65 Dart has no side lights or reflectors, which isn't too safe.

Yeah, I never paid attention until I changed the turning signal inside of cab, my old one went bad so I tested it at night. That's when I noticed that both my turning signals were on. At first I thought it was ground or I crossed wires. That's why I had to ask before I started tinkering with wiring. Don't want to fix if it ain't broke. This forum saved me a huge headache from occurring. Yeah and your right safety wasn't to big of a concern in those days for lighting, and even side mirrors. My Scamp only has driver side, side mirror. So when I am passing there is no so thing as check passenger mirror. Thinking about taking the one off my 75 dart and putting it on the Scamp passenger side.
Thanks

At least you have a mirror that you can use. My dad has a 68 Charger with the rearend jacked up and has a mirror on both sides. Can see over the 1/4 panel except for the top 1/4 inch of the mirror.

At least you have a mirror that you can use. My dad has a 68 Charger with the rearend jacked up and has a mirror on both sides. Can see over the 1/4 panel except for the top 1/4 inch of the mirror.

When driving a '68 Charger, it don't matter what's behind you anyway!

That was one of the hardest things for me to learn at 15... to back up a Mopar using a single 4" round mirror! My dad was a truck driver, so he wouldn't let me use the interior rearview.

When driving a '68 Charger, it don't matter what's behind you anyway!

That was one of the hardest things for me to learn at 15... to back up a Mopar using a single 4" round mirror! My dad was a truck driver, so he wouldn't let me use the interior rearview.

We turn around cause they are useless.

-
Back