Head lights

-
Wires re all good is there a relay some where or could the head light switch cause it?
I'm outta here. Let me explain something before I go. I am one of the guys on here who understands Mopar wiring very well. There are a few on here that know as well or better, but I don't need this. I'm 74 and owned my first mopar about 1971. If you cannot play ball and pay attention to what people are telling you then there is no need for me to waste time on this

Your answer is most likely near the bottom of post 7

my low beam lights stopped working.
dude, learn how to work a room. put her in reverse, introduce yourself, put a couple pics on the 'new guy welcome wagon' situation and warm the poor girl up....Here Ill start.......

Hellooooo FABO! My name is Clem and I have a 67 Barracuda 383 4 speed car with new American Automotive wiring harness and have recently experienced the symptoms of having my low beams not work. I have new bulbs, a new switch and good batt. Oh the high beams are working.

See what I did there? Hit neutral, let the pump work for me then slid her into drive baby....oh yeah....thas what im talking about. (except I drive a stick, but you get the picture)

$0.02

not reading this thred here's what I would do.

Make a jump wire. Unplug connector from dimmer. Headlight switch on, jump from green (feed) to violet, check results. DO same jumping green to red. Those are OEM colors. Go from there

I'm outta here. Let me explain something before I go. I am one of the guys on here who understands Mopar wiring very well. There are a few on here that know as well or better, but I don't need this. I'm 74 and owned my first mopar about 1971. If you cannot play ball and pay attention to what people are telling you then there is no need for me to waste time on this

Your answer is most likely near the bottom of post 7

You hit the nail on the head here. But then it was also predicted it would result in this as noted in post #18 in this thread.

Idiots Guide to Electrical.

Open the Factory Service Manual to the electrical diagrams, if you do not have one GET ONE, download from MyMopar.com
Make copies of the diagrams so you can mark them up

Highlight the circuit(s) in question
Mopar3.jpg

Mopar4.jpg

I like to make a single line that I can add notes to as I troubleshoot.
Mopar5.jpg

As you can see this is a VERY SIMPLE circuit. The power comes from the headlight switch and goes to the foot dimmer switch where it goes to both the high AND low beams. So if you have one and not the other this is the ONLY place that the problem can be, unless someone has added relays to them.

YOU need to get your hands dirty and start tracing wires from the bulkhead to the bulbs.

Potential Failures
1. Bad Foot Dimmer Switch
2. Bad wires
3. Bad Connections
4. Bad Bulbs

At this point we can't be sure you have properly troubleshooted the problem in checking the switch and bulbs. Where in the path you have power...

Alan

You hit the nail on the head here. But then it was also predicted it would result in this as noted in post #18 in this thread.
Sometimes I think its like practical joker from another forum. Yknow? Are we missing something here? It couldn't be FBBO or FCBO because there are too many ears to the ground .......probably a mustang forum......hmmmmmmmm.....I think I just added some flour to the Rue.

Woman brought a Ford Tarus in with no low beams. Who knows how long the passengers low beam had been out but she didn't notice it until the driver's side low beam failed

Woman brought a Ford Tarus in with no low beams. Who knows how long the passengers low beam had been out but she didn't notice it until the driver's side low beam failed
OP said he tested the bulbs and the low beam work.

Go to MyMopar and download a free service manual, or as "close as you can get." You may have to settle for Plymouth vs Dodge or vice versa

"The path" Think about the PATH that the headlights circuit takes.

POWER for both high and lo beams comes off the headllight switch and feeds to a terminal on the dimmer switch, which is a double throw switch. So stomping it switches the output of the headlight switch to either hi or lo. From there on separate wires, the hi and lo beam power goes THROUGH THE BULKHEAD connector, and around to the lamps. At some point (I don't know, likely the driver side headlight connector) the wire branches off to feed the other side.

There is only one ground for each side, usually tied together and connected at the radiator support

MOST LIKELY is a bad connection at the dimmer switch, a bad dimmer switch, a bad connection at the bulkhead connector, or a broken connection at the driver side headlamp
Found it the wires going through the fire wall all fixed

I hope you looked at all the connectors in the bulkhead connectors.

They are natorious for melting,

Ebay has new GM/Ford/Mopar male and female connectors for the Bulkhead. They are not 100% look-a-like to OEM but fit well and work.

I use a "Dupont" crimp tool to swedge the wires down TIGHT.

Wiring Bulkhead Electrical Connectors GM 56 Series Tin male / brass female 16 pc | eBay

-
Back