Head to head collision test

-
Yeah, that video has been around for a couple of years, and it's damn impressive. Today's cars are MUCH safer than the old iron.

Remember, too that that 1959 Chevy would have sold for about $2900.00 new, and there wasn't a single thing on that car that you needed more than a tool box full of hand tool ( that you could carry with one hand) to fix.

Today's acre are safer, more powerful, handle better, more fuel efficient, and cost approximately 10 times as much as they did back in the day.

And, as covered by other threads on the subject...

where's the engine on the '59 and why the hell are there ny-ties flying off the fenders?

Non collapsable steering column. Solid steering shaft, and weak as hell X frame with center torque tube with drive shaft inside it. This frame ran on GM full sized cars from 1958 to 1964. The 1965 impala went back to a perimeter frame. Ask me how i know. I restored a 1960 model el camino. Basically the same car underneath as that 59 bel air. Yeah the wrap around windshields pretty cool until you realize the A pillars are pre bent into a collapsed weak point. Cool looking car to bury you in after it folds up on you in a wreck. The 55, 56, 57 chevy bel air fairs a little better due to it having a traditional ladder frame.

I think if they ran the malibu into a 72 chrysler new yorker brougham the results would have been waaaay different.

Non collapsable steering column. Solid steering shaft, and weak as hell X frame with center torque tube with drive shaft inside it. This frame ran on GM full sized cars from 1958 to 1964. The 1965 impala went back to a perimeter frame. Ask me how i know. I restored a 1960 model el camino. Basically the same car underneath as that 59 bel air. Yeah the wrap around windshields pretty cool until you realize the A pillars are pre bent into a collapsed weak point. Cool looking car to bury you in after it folds up on you in a wreck. The 55, 56, 57 chevy bel air fairs a little better due to it having a traditional ladder frame.

I think if they ran the malibu into a 72 chrysler new yorker brougham the results would have been waaaay different.

Great info... thanks for sharing MM2000.

Guess I dont get on the computer as much as other people- because thats the 1st time I ever saw it. Sent it to a few buddies who also never saw it...? Guess its just a timing thing.

Made me realize that my intentions of putting a shoulder harness setup in my 69 Dart vert might all be for naught as it will just hold me in place as that steering wheel goes thru my chest or rips my chin off!

That vid has been around for years, the 59 is a rusted body with no drivetrain. It is in NO WAY a accurate crash test of those two cars. Its pretty much just propaganda

Didnt know there was no drivetrain... imagine it would have been a little different result.

But- sometimes propaganda is a good thing.

I remember seeing some magazine articles back in the day endorsing 3pt shoulder belts and about just how unsafe lap belts were...
Unfortunately that was right after my older brother lost his front teeth to the steering wheel of his '69 440 Road Runner.

NO one can deny cars have gotten safer. But people still die in them every day. It's just odds. When it's your time, it's your time! MT

-
Back