Header Choices

-

Ant

Reaction score
I'm slowly getting the parts I need for the 318 swap for my 73 dart sedan. I now find myself looking at headers and worrying about things like quality and fitment. I have bought cheap headers in the past for my Ferds and getting them good enough to work then have them rust away is not something I want to deal with anymore. That is why I am willing to spend a bit more now, but at the same time I don't want to go crazy.

I have been looking at Doug's, they're on the pricey end, but not as expensive as tti. If anyone has any info on fitment and recommendations for 1 5/8 in long tube headers I greatly appreciate it.

Car info:
73 Dart sedan,
Has power steering, all stock steering, power brakes, air-conditioning, column shift A904 auto, /6 k frame, /6 to smallblock v8 motor mounts(on order).(yes the parts listed there are for the conversion/v8 smallblock LA car)

Last edited:
Your choices are cheap and you might have to put a dent or three in them or very expensive and you might have to put a dent or three in them.

Not long tube,but Sanderson are a good alternative.
Patriots are a decent fit at a decent price, but they do hand down.

Check out Auto Zone. I got a set of Dougs at 20% off and got free shipping as well. They have that deal often.

Last edited:
Check out Auto Zone. I got a set of Dougs at 20% off, and they do that often.
I found them, but no chance of a discount. There is also a good price difference going from painted to ceramic coated, but I think it may be worth it for a driver.

Your choices are cheap and you might have to put a dent or three in them or very expensive and you might have to put a dent or three in them.
Or I might have to grind the flanges to be flat because there is no gasket that can seal the junk that I had to deal with.

I would prefer a cheap set with a coating, over an uncoated expensive set.... and assume that "adjustments" will need to be made. Just my opinion.
(And I would plan on sawing the flanges.)

First pics are Doug's second pics are TTI . The Dougs were a much better fit. We used manual steering Doug's headers with power steering

100_0073 (2).JPG

100_0056.JPG

20171224_141707.jpg

20171222_142044 (2).jpg

First pics are Doug's second pics are TTI . The Dougs were a much better fit. We used manual steering Doug's headers with power steering

View attachment 1716114707

View attachment 1716114708

View attachment 1716114712

View attachment 1716114713
Being that the Doug's headers are a few hundred bucks less expensive than TTi for what I want, I may have to go with Doug's.
If it was a Ford I would have the entire exhaust done for the same price of a set of TTi headers. It looks like I'm having to pay the mopar tax on some parts, and I already did so far, lol.

Good pics, good to know how well they fit. Thanks.

I found them, but no chance of a discount. There is also a good price difference going from painted to ceramic coated, but I think it may be worth it for a driver.
I just checked, AutoZone still has the discount. 20% off over $125 and free delivery. It is in a banner at the top of their home page. I can send a link later if you can't find it.

I just checked, AutoZone still has the discount. 20% off over $125 and free delivery. It is in a banner at the top of their home page. I can send a link later if you can't find it.
Nope! Those rotten scumbags pulled a bait and switch. Promo not eligible for large items, like carbs, mufflers, headers and stuff. But the promo can be use for small items like radiators and gaskets... WTF RADIATORS!!!
I spoke to someone one the phone, AutoZone still sucks.

If you go with dougs, I got them in a raw finish from speedway and had them ceramic coated/cerakoted locally in a color I wanted. Saved myself a couple hundred bucks that way.

I'll just order the headers from summit.

Now I need to figure out the rest of the exhaust system.

I'll just order the headers from summit.

Now I need to figure out the rest of the exhaust system.
The Dougs were the easiest install of headers I've ever done. Only issue I had was because I upgraded my torsion bars to 1.03, so had to pull the headers and ding them to clear. Would do it again with Dougs.

I'm slowly getting the parts I need for the 318 swap for my 73 dart sedan. I now find myself looking at headers and worrying about things like quality and fitment. I have bought cheap headers in the past for my Ferds and getting them good enough to work then have them rust away is not something I want to deal with anymore. That is why I am willing to spend a bit more now, but at the same time I don't want to go crazy.

I have been looking at Doug's, they're on the pricey end, but not as expensive as tti. If anyone has any info on fitment and recommendations for 1 5/8 in long tube headers I greatly appreciate it.

Car info:
73 Dart sedan,
Has power steering, all stock steering, power brakes, air-conditioning, column shift A904 auto, /6 k frame, /6 to smallblock v8 motor mounts(on order).(yes the parts listed there are for the conversion/v8 smallblock LA car)
The best fitting header I have used and have used 3 times is the summit racing header. They’re the old design everyone knows with the 3 driver side tubes that go under the steering linkage. Not only did they fit the best bar none, there flanges are 3/8 thick, so use a 1/4 inch longer header bolt.
(Though they do come with them.)

The next best fitting header was Hooker. They only required one dent.

I also used the summit/jegs exhaust kit. It’s a true dual set up. Made by a heart-throb. Minor trimming was needed. EZ to do. Good fit.

To view the exhaust system. Start at the top of page 4

rumblefish's Duster project

To hear, this is a cold start on a November day in New York.
It’s a low compression 1979 - 318 with bolt on parts and a tiny cam @ [email protected] intake, LD4B, 600 cfm carb & the above exhaust.

Nope! Those rotten scumbags pulled a bait and switch. Promo not eligible for large items, like carbs, mufflers, headers and stuff. But the promo can be use for small items like radiators and gaskets... WTF RADIATORS!!!
I spoke to someone one the phone, AutoZone still sucks.
I bought a pair a AZ earlier this year. They wouldn't take the coupon but the uncoated headers were a lot less expensive than anywhere else. Now it looks like they only carry the coated part. I don't remember the exact numbers but it seems like I could buy them, have them coated locally, and be $100 ahead over the list price that everyone else was using for the coated headers.

I bought a pair a AZ earlier this year. They wouldn't take the coupon but the uncoated headers were a lot less expensive than anywhere else. Now it looks like they only carry the coated part. I don't remember the exact numbers but it seems like I could buy them, have them coated locally, and be $100 ahead over the list price that everyone else was using for the coated headers.
I would save nothing, it makes no economical sense in my part of the world to have the headers coated by someone. I will just by them factory coated from summit or jegs or used(finding them used will be hard).

If you go with dougs, I got them in a raw finish from speedway and had them ceramic coated/cerakoted locally in a color I wanted. Saved myself a couple hundred bucks that way.
I used the AutoZone discount to order Dougs headers back in 2018. Turns out there was a cap on the amount the discount applied to. In a nutshell= AutoZone with "fine print" discount came out the same as buying from Summit at regular pricing.

Keep in mind the steel Dougs and TTI uses is heavier gauge and (higher quality?) than the cheap LOW HANGING typical header. This means when they rust it wont be the delaminating scaley crusty type of rust that the cheapos are legendary for.

I would save nothing, it makes no economical sense in my part of the world to have the headers coated by someone. I will just by them factory coated from summit or jegs or used(finding them used will be hard).
What part of New York are you in?

The best way to avoid the dreaded header tube smash is to raise up the front end. This may not have the desired look/stance of the car. This is what I have done in the past on Dusters. The wife’s ‘67 Cúda has TTI header and can be and is lower in the nose vs these standard headers below.

1969 PLYMOUTH BARRACUDA Summit Racing SUM-G9140 Summit Racing™ Metallic-Ceramic Coated Headers | Summit Racing

What part of New York are you in?

The best way to avoid the dreaded header tube smash is to raise up the front end. This may not have the desired look/stance of the car. This is what I have done in the past on Dusters. The wife’s ‘67 Cúda has TTI header and can be and is lower in the nose vs these standard headers below.

1969 PLYMOUTH BARRACUDA Summit Racing SUM-G9140 Summit Racing™ Metallic-Ceramic Coated Headers | Summit Racing
The lower but also not lower part of NY.

One of the reasons I was looking at Doug's and TTI was ground clearance. The roads here kinda suck sometimes and cars do break from pot holes and stuff sometimes(one of the reasons why I prefer small diameter rims).

To view the exhaust system. Start at the top of page 4

rumblefish's Duster project

To hear, this is a cold start on a November day in New York.
It’s a low compression 1979 - 318 with bolt on parts and a tiny cam @ [email protected] intake, LD4B, 600 cfm carb & the above exhaust.

Watched the video, I like it. A bit off topic, but... what upper radiator hose did you use?
If that works well, then I might be able to keep my old aluminum aftermarket radiator and still have A/C.

-
Back