• White

Votes: 5 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

Stormy69

Dusted
Reaction score
Soooo, i picked up a set of longtubes for my 70 340 duster and cant decide what color to paint them... they are a style i have never seen (i will get pics up soon). i am going to use VHT paint and it comes in quite a selection of colors... i am thinking orange :) the car is lemon twist and will appear mostly original.

oops. put silver twice, second silver should have been blue :(

I've never seen orange, but I've seen red and blue. IMO it looks like crap after you put some miles on them. Hard to go wrong with standard flat black.

The headers in this picture were painted with VHT silver

CompleteRightSide.jpg

This paint did not last very long, less than one season and most of it 6" way from the flanges was gone.

This is POR-20 on the \6 headers.
Slant6.jpg

This picture was taken with 20,000 miles on the headers. It is by far the best stuff I have ever tried. Unlike POR-15 you can't have any rust or it won't stick. The \6 headers were all rusty and I soaked them down with muriatic acid (fireplace/brick cleaner) a couple of times and it removed all the rust. POR also has a black and cast iron grey header paint.

Go ceramic if you want a coating, it holds up MUCH better and is only around $250 for the pair of headers. As far as color, what color is your block? If the car is lemon twist, I have to say I think black or silver are the only two really solid options.

I don't know if you're trying to sway the vote with the two silver choices lol. But thats my choice for headers.

Grant

I like the looks of silver, but as has been stated before, it seems to not last too long, Ceramic coated seems to old up much better. IT may cost extra $$ but, compare that to pulling your headers out once a year and repainting them.... hmmm...

Go ceramic if you want a coating, it holds up MUCH better and is only around $250 for the pair of headers. As far as color, what color is your block? If the car is lemon twist, I have to say I think black or silver are the only two really solid options.
I paid for the xtra for ceramic coat and it lasted 3months they are know rusted worse than the non coated.I called HOOKER and the man said that this is not a rust preventer I told him he was full of sh!!t:angry7: and I would be more than glade to pass this info around about there product:bootysha:!!!!! I did try that VHT ceramic coat paint on my peterbilt(600hp cat) ON the trbo and down pipe and is holding up very well..this is what I wiil use from know on..

i get headers coated for 80 bucks.:cheers:

I paid for the xtra for ceramic coat and it lasted 3months they are know rusted worse than the non coated.I called HOOKER and the man said that this is not a rust preventer I told him he was full of sh!!t:angry7: and I would be more than glade to pass this info around about there product:bootysha:!!!!! I did try that VHT ceramic coat paint on my peterbilt(600hp cat) ON the trbo and down pipe and is holding up very well..this is what I wiil use from know on..

Hooker is cheap in terms of dollars... I don't know anything about their coating. I had my Kooks longtubes ceramic-coated locally over 2 years ago and they still look as good as they did when I picked them up.

Hooker is cheap in terms of dollars... I don't know anything about their coating. I had my Kooks longtubes ceramic-coated locally over 2 years ago and they still look as good as they did when I picked them up.

We have kooks on our srt8 300 and they are coated. They stood up to the winter and look like new. Good stuff.

In all honesty and not to ruffle any feathers, I think with paint you're only going to give yourself headaches down the road and regret not coating them properly.

I had a set of headers that were chrome plated. They looked nice for about a year, then they blued, and started to rust. I had them blasted and coated. Now they're brand new again.

i just painted mine silver... waiting for them to dry.. lol

The headers in this picture were painted with VHT silver

CompleteRightSide.jpg

This paint did not last very long, less than one season and most of it 6" way from the flanges was gone.

This is POR-20 on the \6 headers.
Slant6.jpg

This picture was taken with 20,000 miles on the headers. It is by far the best stuff I have ever tried. Unlike POR-15 you can't have any rust or it won't stick. The \6 headers were all rusty and I soaked them down with muriatic acid (fireplace/brick cleaner) a couple of times and it removed all the rust. POR also has a black and cast iron grey header paint.

muriatic acid is also used in pools... the headers have been/will be (i am not done yet) glass bead blasted, so it will be a perfect surface for whatever ends up on them. I have seen the blue vht hold up for 3 years on 300z turbo headers, car got sold then so cant say after that... i havent seen a VHT semi gloss black or that would have been in the poll instead of flat. I can get ceramic done here for about $200 but i am not looking to put that kind of money out for these... i plan to use the VHT paints so we will see how it goes. I live in a high desert, corrosion isnt very common here and the car wouldnt be driven in inclement weather anyway. the double silver could have been a slip up, but orange (kinda mathing the motor) was my original thought :happy10:

i just realized, i plan to have a set of 273 super commande black wrinkle valve covers on the car as well, i have had them for about 20 years sand its high time they went back on a car, "correct" or not :)
silver seems to be the color of choice....

Send them off to Jet Hot, the finish looks great, it drastically cuts down the heat and they last.

Photo1318.jpg

Oh no. At first glance, I thought he was asking about the header color of this website. Geesh! Too much web-design on the brain. :computer:

Paint them what ever color you want. My vote is flat black.

If you do go with something shinny, do you self a favor and HEAT TREAT THEN!
No you don't need any fancy place to do it, do it your self.

Start car and hold rpm at 2000 for 5 sec. shut eng. off
LET HEADER COOL DOWN TO DEAD COLD

Do this about 5 times........

now and only now run eng at 2000 rpm for 20 sec. did smoke come of header after eng shut off?????? if yes go back to the above 5 sec heating............If not continue to do a 20 sec heat up with a cool down to dead cold several more times (baring smoke does not come of header.)

This process will take you most of a day to accomplish but the paint will last 10x longer with out dis color of paint if you do. Because the paint was baked on, Not BURNED OFF!

Note: if you have a lean condition that cause the header to glow bright RED, even a ceramics header will discolor!

i used this on my 67 headers and it held up for one season for sure i sold the car after 1 yr and the coating didnt flake or peel.the metal must be perfectly clean no rust not any at all pre clean before coating then let dry and put on car and when you start the car up it smells a little bit but actually bakes right in worked for 1 yr for sure but after that dont know for sure?

-
Back