Header Question

-

dbednarsky

Reaction score
I have a 66 Dart that had the 170 Slant Six in it, I am building a 318 For it, and I found a set of headers that fit a 1968 Dart, will these work on my body dart as well? If not anyone have any suggestions that are not too expensive? Thanks in Advance

66 is an Early A Body, the 67-up headers are different and won't fit. TTI, Doug's and Spitfire headers are undercar, Hooker makes fenderwell style. None are cheap.

Do you know what the difference is? All I am worried about is getting them in without having to modify the wheel wells. With the 66 Dart, I will have to fabricate my own exhaust anyway, as I am unable to find a bolt-in. So as long as I can bolt the headers to the motor, and get it in the car without having to modify the body at all I would be very happy. Also I do not have P/S, A/C or any of that fun stuff so there isn't going to be much to get in the way.

67-up headers are not going to fit a 63-66 a-body..

for under carriage header you choices are - spitfires, tti or dougs.

and tti sells a full exhaust system for early a's.

If you don't want to modify the body your cheapest route will be Spitfires, IF you can find a set. If you buy a set from Harold (if you can even find a phone # for him that works) order them C.O.D. I've heard of people waiting over 2 years for headers that they paid him for & they still don't have them. Next up in price is probably the TTI's, but by the time you buy the special starter you need to use with them they end up being the most expensive. A lot of people like them though. Then there's the Doug's. They're the most expensive I've seen but they look to me like the nicest ones. If you shop around for the best price & then get somebody with free shipping (like Summit) to match it you might come out ahead. If you compare prices, be sure to check whether the price is for coated or uncoated headers. It can make quite a bit of difference in what you pay.

Like was said before, none of them are cheap.

The differences your asking about is the early A-body is more narrow than the later ones. Thats why the headers won't interchange. There is not enough room to use a later style header because of the designed space to use them in.

The other sugestion would be 92 V-8 dakota mainfolds, they have a 2 1/8 outlet and with minimal mods they fit, and only about flow 25 hp less than the headers. Look for threads on this sight about the install process.....

I have a 64 valiant that I am in the process of doing an install of these on my 318 in the car......

-
Back