Header Questions for a 73Duster

-

Old Geezzer

Reaction score
Is there anyone running Patriot headers on the A-body? Looking for TTI fit,but they are not in the budget.I was looking at Dougs headers web site and noticed Patriot brand. Their part # h8206-1 are coated full length headers that they say fit A,B,E and F bodies from 67 to 82 with a small block. But I haven't found a picture of them. Nor how well their built or fit. Dougs d453-r only go to 72 year, I don't remember the different in the K-members other than the motor mount style.
Any ideas? OG

Went to Summit site today and heres what they show:
Part Number: PTE-H8206-1

HDR MOPR A BODY SBM 67-82 CTD

More flow equals more power.
These full length chassis and fenderwell headers provide the ultimate in performance for street rods and musclecars with high performance engines. The key is their use of long primary tubes, which result in more horsepower and torque than those from the competition. Other features include a close fit with the engine block for maximum chassis and steering clearance, mandrel-bent tubing that's available in your choice of bare or ceramic coated finishes, and new gaskets and bolts.

Makes ya wonder

My educated guess is they are copies of Hookers and hang below the center link.

Dougs and tti are the only two headers I've seen that don't hang low.

Thanks, I know the old saying "you get what you pay for" I'm still waiting for a reply from Pertronix. Still wonder if their close to Dougs since they own both .
Guess time will tell.

I read in the second post they use both of the terms "chassis" and "fenderwell".
but one part#?

I've had the low hanging headers and swore to myself I'll drive it easy so they will be ok. The next thing I know is I'm 30 mph in traffic and cross an intersection with a little dip and BAM 2 flat tubes.
For a street car I'll spend the extra for the tight to body ones cause I'd be spending the money buyin another set later anyway. :angry7:Not to mention doin the work again.

Thanks, I know the old saying "you get what you pay for" I'm still waiting for a reply from Pertronix. Still wonder if their close to Dougs since they own both .
Guess time will tell.

At $329 I wonder if they are the same style as dougs style headers. Dougs are 369 for painted, 539 ceramic. I bet they are undercutting the other brand.

I know I wouldn't pay 329 for a set of the hooker style headers. Maybe send them a question asking for a picture of the actual headers. One look and most of the long time A body guys can tell you which style they are.

At $329 I wonder if they are the same style as dougs style headers. Dougs are 369 for painted, 539 ceramic. I bet they are undercutting the other brand.

I know I wouldn't pay 329 for a set of the hooker style headers. Maybe send them a question asking for a picture of the actual headers. One look and most of the long time A body guys can tell you which style they are.

Well heres what I got back so far: (for auto answer) better than nada
Hi Paul ,

Thank you for contacting PerTronix, Inc. Your information was received by us and we will respond within 48 hours, excluding weekends and holidays.

Sincerely,

PerTronix, Inc.
440 East Arrow Highway
San Dimas, CA 91773
Phone: (909) 599-5955
Fax: (909) 599-6424
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.pertronix.com
Maybe by tomorrow we have a pic and some answers. And their online catalogs don't give much info on gauge of tubing,or how thick the flanges are.

Old Geezzer
I live about 6 miles from Dougs I have to go over and see what they have for my sons car I'll let you know
I just purchased my 15 yr. old a 68 Dart project and it needs a new set of headers he can't affodrd the Dougs so I'm looking for somthing a little cheeper
I'm pretty sure both Pentronix and Dougs are at the same building last time I was their both signs were on the building

Thanks,
It would nice to know the different between Dougs and Patriots lines. If possible see if you can get some pictures of the two and post them.

Well got a picture of Patriot headers,looks like hooker,hedman etc. Guess I'll have to start saving for TTis. the second picture is Dougs header

h8206-1.jpg

d453.jpg

Dougs fit the same as tti and are less expensive by a bunch for the coated version.

There isn't 200+ dollars in performance difference between the two from a fit/finish or HP.

Great picture. You can see the drivers side doesn't hang below the centerlink and hit the ground.

That's news to me as I know two 73-76 Dusters with Dougs on them. What's the issue. Only real difference is the style of motor mount, drag link.

The front clip is the same from 67-76 on A bodies

That's news to me as I know two 73-76 Dusters with Dougs on them. What's the issue. Only real difference is the style of motor mount, drag link.

The front clip is the same from 67-76 on A bodies

MMMmm interesting, all I know is what the manufacture states with it will fit and won't.

Heres what Pertronix's sent me:

Paul,

The Doug's version will only cover up to 1972 because there was steering and
motor mount change in 1973 which the Doug's header will not accommodate and
the Patriot will. Please see attachments for pictures.

Thank you,
Tech Dept

Is there a way you can post pictures?

I spoke with a guy at dougs a short time back and all he'd tell me was that it is a problem with linkage that keeps them from fitting a 73. I have looked everywhere for some that will fit, and just decided to go with spitfire anyway. I don't race, and the short ones should run fine up to 5600 and that's my top, so since my car is pretty low, lower than stock, and I can't afford the tti's I think it makes sense, for me, but I hope you find some that fit and flow AND don't break the bank cause I'll be watching!

Thanks for the reply Stroker Mike. Did they say what linkage was in the way?
Been hoping that Crackedback would post pictures of the ones he has seen with Dougs on them if he has any them. To bad nobody around here in reno has a set that I could try. Guess time will tell

as far as i know, the front suspension is virtually identical from 67-76 on A-Bodies. the exception being the 67 only pitman arm, the 73-up disc brake with
the larger balljoints, and some 6cylinder cars used a straight centerlink up to 1970 or so.

pitman arm and idler arm changed in 73...so did the drag link...

73 went to the newer style motor mounts. Maybe they're bigger and the headeers can't fit around them.

Yes in 73 Mopar went to the spool type mount. With the wider mount they may have moved the steering box some (not sure on this) Wish I had 70-72 K member here to measure. All of my parts cars are 73 & 74. May have to put a wanted ad on Craigslist here in Reno for a set of Dougs and see whats happens.

72 and earlier pitman arm and idler arm threads point up...73 and new pitman arm and idler arm threads point up....taper on drag links are just opposite to match pitman and idler arms.

-
Back