Header trouble.

-

swingingdart

Reaction score
I've got a header leaking, it's the front driver side pipe. I'm tired of replacing gaskets, they blow about three seconds after fire up. I made the mistake of using the Hedman gaskets that came with them, because the other side is now starting to leak. Haven't even gotten to drive the car yet!! but it's blowing out victor graphite gaskets, or at least won't seal. I just want som feedback, I'm tired of draining the antifreeze.

You could try doubleing up on the gaskets since it seems the headers are warped and allowing the exhaust to blow thru gaps.If you can get the headers off easy lay them on a flat surface to chaeck for striaghtness.If warped a machine shop should be able to true them up for you.good luck.

double the gaskets? well I'm probably going to try that first. But when I first ran the engine, I forgot to put thread sealer on the header bolts, and antifreeze leaked out over the header. could that have warped them? cause they are Brand Spanking New. I just hate the idea of taking those guys off! they were a pain to put on!!!!

when you change the gaskets out, you could try putting a small amount of copper rtv around the header gaskets. I have used this trick in the past to help seal up headers.

I thought RTV would burn up! hmm,

I use RTV only, no gaskets, on the drag race engines,

015s-1.jpg

also use these studs- easy on or off, No water leaks
http://www.jegs.com/i/ARP/070/245-1301/10002/-1

070-100-1404.jpg

double the gaskets? well I'm probably going to try that first. But when I first ran the engine, I forgot to put thread sealer on the header bolts, and antifreeze leaked out over the header. could that have warped them? cause they are Brand Spanking New. I just hate the idea of taking those guys off! they were a pain to put on!!!!
if you have a set you removed try using that first to see how it worksI dont thick they got warped by the coolent leaking if the bolts were tight.

BTW what engine is in your car.Small block I assumed.Make sure the tail end of the headers aren't hitting anything as that would cause it to bind up

I never install a set of headers, or manifolds for that matter,, without running a large flat file across the gskt surface... I always seem to be adding metal in dips, or filing down hi spots..

Was a post a few days ago about a /6 manifold being filed flat...

that's been my experience,.. either lousy machining,, or aggressive tightening..

Yeah, SB. It's not hitting anything, we made sure of that first thing. I'm going to have to buy bolt that won't lossen, these did. and that may have warped the headers there. But maybe just a good gasket could keep me from pulling them?

I have a set of small block LA headers that are not flat. My machine shop cut some, but could not get 100% flat due to welds would be removed. I switched to copper gaskets annd put red RTV (high temp.) on both sides. No problems even using nitrous. Good luck

i know several people swear by this trick. they cut the header flange between the cylinders. so you would cut the flange between the 1-3 and then the 5-7. just a saw blades thickness. this allows the header to move freely if the flange is being pulled by anything.

Well, I think I'm going to try some gaskets, if that don't work I'll pull the suckers, and hate every minute of it. Thanks everyone for your tips!

The studs say they are for a 3/8 thread, the heads on the 360 are 5/16. Are you sure these work with the la heads? Just curious because I was looking for a set of studs.

You are right about the 5/16, on a small block. Never thought much about it ad says also fits small block, all I run right now is big block til just recent
I was pointing out about using studs for ease of removing and installing

I tried to find 5/16 studs for you. Below is all i find listed (3/8") says for small block, guess, that is incorrect

JEG
ARP 245-1301
Header Studs
Chrysler KB Hemi, 340-360

Summit
ARP445-1301
Header Studs, 12-Point Nuts, Stainless Steel, Polished, 3/8 in.-16, Chrysler, Small Block, Set of 16

ARP445-1311
Header Studs, Hex Nuts, Stainless Steel, Polished, 3/8 in.-16, Chrysler, Small Block, Set of 16

I think you could buy 5/16 studs at Fastnal

Okay, after reading a previous 302 heads leaking thread, I have 302 heads, and I've never closed off any exhaust holes underneath the exhaust ports. The Problem?

yes...need to tap and put 1/4-20 set screws in them

you will never get those cheap headers with the thin flanges to ever seal properly .you need a quality header to be leak free for years like tti hooker or d0ugs .

You could use the fancy studs if you want or the regular course/fine black ones you can get at your hardware store along with grade 8 nuts/washers. Either way you'll eliminate messes. The Remflex gaskets work really well for sealing irregularities.

-
Back