Header wrap

-

Bad Sport

HALF A BUBBLE OFF
Staff member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an idea how much wrap it takes to completely do both headers on a smallblock?

I plan on using the 2" stuff, just need to know the length.

Mucho appreciado

I would think you would be in for at least 5-6-20 foot rolls or more.
You are supposed to overlap it as you wrap so, yea.

One wrap on a 1.5 tube is about 4.5 inches so overlapped an inch on each wrap would be one wrap per inch.
A four foot section of 8 tubes would be 48 wraps X 4.5 X 8 tubes just for the 8 tubes not counting collectors.

Keep in mind it would end up two layers thick doing it this way.

I would think you would be in for at least 5-6-20 foot rolls or more.
You are supposed to overlap it as you wrap so, yea.

One wrap on a 1.5 tube is about 4.5 inches so overlapped an inch on each wrap would be one wrap per inch.
A four foot section of 8 tubes would be 48 wraps X 4.5 X 8 tubes just for the 8 tubes not counting collectors.

Keep in mind it would end up two layers thick doing it this way.

I was figuring 2 50" rolls, maybe I need an additional one. Hmmm....

Not crazy about the wrap, but the under hood temps are, um, warm?

I was figuring 2 50" rolls, maybe I need an additional one. Hmmm....

Not crazy about the wrap, but the under hood temps are, um, warm?

I came up with 144 feet, so probably three would do it.

Don't wrap them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Theres a reason that the header manufactuers all say that if u wrap them then the warranty is voided

Agreed with above posts. Do NOT wrap them. not worth the aggravation. I had a buddy do his and they smoked horribly, and they backed up the heat into the heads....the header flanges would literally glow red because the heat that was radiating...was now confined by the wrap. if you have cooling issues, or underhood temp issues. You need to be looking into an electric fan, better radiator, A/F ratio....anything but wrap.

Another issue with wrap is if you do not seal it after you're done it can and will absorb oil. A friend nearly lost his car due to an ATF leak that soaked his wrapped headers. Had it not been for a mutual friend who was with him spotting a garden hose long enough to reach them the car would've been lost to a fire.

So yeah, don't wrap them.

-
Back