Headers! 1969 Barracuda Notchback.

-

1969cudarebuild

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Another problem in the 1969 Barracuda Notchback build. The drivetrain consists of a 360 LA, iron headed engine, Tremeck 6 speed, Ford 9 inch, 355 gears. Problem lies is the car is retaining the original power steering and we want to use a long tube header. I have searched and searched for long tube headers and all I am finding is in the notes "not for use with power steering." I can tell already putting headers on this engine is going to be a bear and have to be done during engine installation. Question. What brand of header/style of long tube headers have you folks used or seen used with this application? Or, is there an exhaust manifold out there that boasts they will flow just as good as a long tube header? Any info and advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I’m not sure there is a difference between the 340 and 360, but Hooker competition headers work with a 340, 4spd and factory PS. I replaced beat up dead ones last summer on my 69 Barracuda with these.
B403A570-3EE0-4332-ABDB-4246289D5E39.jpeg
BD50E547-FB48-4BE5-8578-14DD29863DCA.jpeg
The header hangs low and is getting some road rash again.

I’m not sure there is a difference between the 340 and 360, but Hooker competition headers work with a 340, 4spd and factory PS.
340/360 differences? None on the outside where headers are concerned.
Scrapping headers on the ground?
Twist the T bar adjuster for more road height.
Though…. Some headers will drag or hit the floor due to poor quality control and the variations in construction as well as manufacturers.

Thanks. Yes, the car is low with E60s on the front…nice rake. Will change this winter with some radials and twisting the torsion bars.

Don’t get any that go around the steering linkage on the drivers side. They will get smashed flat on the first bump.

Don’t get any that go around the steering linkage on the drivers side. They will get smashed flat on the first bump.
Untrue! But very probable if you don’t take the time to make sure you added ground clearance for the low hanging headers.

I actually can’t stand these types of headers.

I had TTI’s on my sb Dart with power steering, it was a auto though.

It's simply not true that the headers that go around the steering linkage will be smashed. Here's how to avoid that.

Run at LEAST a stock height tire in the front and at LEAST stock ride height with the torsion bars and you'll hardly ever scrape over anything. Sure, there are Doug's and TTIs for much much more money and they are nice, but as long as your car is not lowered in the front, it will be fine with the cheaper headers.

Seriously yall, what did everybody run before Doug's and TTI made headers for our cars?

It's simply not true that the headers that go around the steering linkage will be smashed. Here's how to avoid that.

Run at LEAST a stock height tire in the front and at LEAST stock ride height with the torsion bars and you'll hardly ever scrape over anything. Sure, there are Doug's and TTIs for much much more money and they are nice, but as long as your car is not lowered in the front, it will be fine with the cheaper headers.

Seriously yall, what did everybody run before Doug's and TTI made headers for our cars?

Headers smashed flat on the drivers side…..haha

I resemble that….

Got a nice set specially modified for easy installation around the steering. Some assembly required.View attachment 1715818955
lol I wasn't speaking specifically of you, just anyone who drove like that in general. I've never had issue putting on those type headers. Just one step at a time and they get done.

Just a side note....I took the power steering off my 67 Barracuda about 28 years ago, and have never missed it. I can still turn the wheel with 1 hand.

Just a side note....I took the power steering off my 67 Barracuda about 28 years ago, and have never missed it. I can still turn the wheel with 1 hand.
...and I'm 100% in agreement there. I've always joked on here that only girls and pansies need power steering on an A body. Even Kitty has remarked at how easy Vixen is to drive with manual steering. That comes from a woman talking about a car with manual steering, column shift manual transmission and manual drum brakes. She loves how Vixen drives. Now I suppose if I had one that was nice and original or even a nice restification with power steering, I'd probably leave it on there. But to ADD TO? I honestly hope I never get to the point that I "have" to do that. I do have power steering on my 75 F250 but, that's a "bit" different story. lol

....and regarding Chrysler power steering on cars of our era, it's some of the easiest most assisted power steering that's ever been. You can dang near flip the wheel and it coast to a stop. lol I "just" don't want THAT MUCH assist with any steering, I DO like some road feel. lol

20211006_001347.jpg
About 1980, I took the beat up headers off my first 73 Dart 340 Sport with manual 3 speed, replaced them with new Hooker Competition Plus and they rattled against the frame and probably other stuff. Took them off and replaced them with stock manifolds. Stockish low compression 340 seemed to run better than ever. Dropped the ride height a little. No problems and I liked the looks better. No regrets.

View attachment 1715819119 About 1980, I took the beat up headers off my first 73 Dart 340 Sport with manual 3 speed, replaced them with new Hooker Competition Plus and they rattled against the frame and probably other stuff. Took them off and replaced them with stock manifolds. Stockish low compression 340 seemed to run better than ever. Dropped the ride height a little. No problems and I liked the looks better. No regrets.

I did the same thing a few years back on my low compression 360, as evidenced by the picture above, with the same results. I am no doubt in the minority, but I hate headers on a bodies.

Everything just depends on what your goals are. Being an old, fat, lazy guy, I also love my power steering, power brakes, ac, power door locks, and cruise control, all of which I have on my cuda.

There's no doubt, manifolds are forever.

40 lbs off the nose if you ditch the power steering.

40 lbs off the nose if you ditch the power steering.
You think that's all? Heck, I would think more taking into consideration the difference in size of the boxes, the fact that the power is cast iron and the manual aluminum plus all the brackets, hoses and pump? Still though, 40 is a good bit.

I loved the power steering and bias ply tires on my stock 65 'S'. Couldn't have it on my 340 transplant for some reason, probably the headers....bias tires were a little lacking on the highway but light to light they were smooooth.

I loved the power steering and bias ply tires on my stock 65 'S'. Couldn't have it on my 340 transplant for some reason, probably the headers....bias tires were a little lacking on the highway but light to light they were smooooth.
Bias ply tires will get you KILLED with how they follow the rain grooves on the interstate. They'll dang near snatch the wheel outta your hand if you're not holdin on good.

Power steering must have masked that good as there was nothing alarming about the drive home on the freeway 'cept for the wandering in lane where the road was grooved. it could have been the alignment too as the car was sitting for 18 years. Tires came off within a week. Radials made all the difference but the ride wasn't like walking on carpet anymore. Car as bought was kinda weird: had LUXURY as a personalized plate white wall tires, curb feelers(!) and a frigging bolt on trailer hitch..on an 'S'? Power steering, power brakes, but no A/C or rear defogger. 273/4 was down to 5 cylinders and the dual point was only working on 1 set as the other was filed down past where it would touch. 8 plugs and a pair of points as well as a full tank of gas from this decade got her back on 8 jugs and it could smoke the tires again. Found kickdown was unhooked too. Would be in 3rd by the opposite crosswalk of the intersection. Got that hooked up after about 10 minutes of new 8 cylinder fun. No damage thank goodness to the cable operated 904. The rest is history.

-
Back