Headers hitting idler arm

-
Remember that TTI does build an excellent product. But they don't build the car or the engine or the mounts and they don't install them. That leaves a lot of variables on the table. TTI does give you the dimension charts for the different chassis models and engine sizes for you to verify Before you install their product. It is in the directions and on their website.
Cutting, grinding, washers yada, yada, yada means something is not right, it doesn't mean you have to do those things for the product to fit unless it was defective in which case that is what the warranty is for.
Footnote #39
I agree. I really don't think it's the headers that are causing the problem. I suspect something related to the big block swap or an inconsistency with quality control as @Furious65 mentioned. Someone on FEBO suggested contacting TTI and initially I agreed, but I don't think that's necessary.

Can you loosen the header bolts and see if you can adjust the header where you need it to be? you probably only need 3/8 to 1/2 inch. You probably have to wrench it into position, and have someone cinch down the bolts...
Unfortunately that's not a possibility, my heads have studs and the tolerances for the holes in the header flanges are quite tight. Not much wiggle room.

I'd do 3 things .
Loosen all the block/mount bolts, and lift the engine to gain clearance at header and relay rod. Retighten bolts lifted.
If not enuff clearance gain, order 70s van insulators, there thicker.
You can file the idler arm holes in K, lowers idler, to gain clearances nec. then tack flat washers over elongated holes to stabilize.

I'd do 3 things .
Loosen all the block/mount bolts, and lift the engine to gain clearance at header and relay rod. Retighten bolts lifted.
If not enuff clearance gain, order 70s van insulators, there thicker.
You can file the idler arm holes in K, lowers idler, to gain clearances nec. then tack flat washers over elongated holes to stabilize.

Thanks for the idea on thicker insulators. I just picked up a pair from oreilly’s for $17.00. I will put them in tomorrow or Saturday and see if that is enough.
I got part a2265. Not a2266. I don’t know the difference. We will see

Thanks for the idea on thicker insulators. I just picked up a pair from oreilly’s for $17.00. I will put them in tomorrow or Saturday and see if that is enough.
I got part a2265. Not a2266. I don’t know the difference. We will see
Just a reminder, raising the engine will change the driveshaft angle.

#27. Block to engine brackets, loosen and pick the engine pup, tighten.

Thanks for all the advice! I apologize for not replying sooner, been pretty busy. I’ll see what I can do regarding raising the engine and tightening the hardware.

-
Back