Headers question

-

-Boosted-

Hard Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am currently building my 73 Duster and accumulating the parts for a 10 sec build and have a question about headers. I think I want to go with 1 7/8 primaries but the choices are slim from what I can find. How bad would 1 5/8 or 1 3/4 primaries hurt the performance? What headers are you guys running?

Here's the build specs.
  • 408 forged stroker
  • Forged flat top (CR around 11:1)
  • Solid Roller Cam (still deciding on the grind)
  • Ported Eddie or Speedmaster heads (depends on which set works out best)
  • Ported Victor340 intake
  • BG Race Demon 750

Built 727 with 4200-4400 stall PTC converter

Narrowed 9" with aluminum dropout, True Trac and 4.11 gears

28x10.5 slicks

Total weight should be around 3000#

Thanks in advance!
Bill

I have hedmans on mine. They will step them up to 2.125. I would give them a call if you don't want limited to 1.625 or 1.750

I have hedmans on mine. They will step them up to 2.125. I would give them a call if you don't want limited to 1.625 or 1.750
Yeah, I've been trying to find a set in stock.... what about TTI's with 1 7/8 primaries?

Pittsburghracer will have some good insight on this. He has some fast 408 combos and experience with both edelbrock and speedmaster heads.

I have a similar 416 and ran back to back test on Dyno with stepped tti to 1 7/8 tti , and the bigger primary’s are diffinetely worth it whether there hedman , hooker, tti

Pittsburghracer will have some good insight on this. He has some fast 408 combos and experience with both edelbrock and speedmaster heads.
He’s the one that told me to get 1 7/8! He’s also the one building my heads. Not questioning his advice, just having problems finding the recommended set in stock. lol

I could kinda shoot myself. I have and keep a spare set and a buddy asked me if I wanted a coated set for 200.00. Idiot me passed. They sold three months later.

Damnit! I found an uncoated set. Still looking for coated and if all else fails, I'll get the uncoated and send them off to get coated.

***Edit*** I ordered the uncoated set. Was in stock and marked down $80. Now to find somewhere local to coat them!

Last edited:
I would hold out for the big headers, considering the goal for the car. I ran 2" custom headers on a nine second n/a small block combo, didn't seem to hurt performance too bad.

This is what I ordered....not sure the picture is accurate but they are Hedman with 1 7/8 primaries and 3.5" collectors

5E050D2C-B8FB-45E6-96CB-509E29132456.jpeg

Last edited:
They look like Hooker Super comp adjustables. I love mine, been in my car for about thirty years. (and yep, my big block version has one tube (rear on each side) that goes thru the wheelwell).

Hedman 75140 race headers. No idea if the picture is accurate or not....

Hedman Hedders 75140 Hedman Husler Race Headers | Summit Racing
They look exactly like mine, only mine are stepped to big tubes.

You don't have a rack do you?...one tube won't work.

I can take some measurements on my fender holes for you. MY holes ended up bigger than I wanted. Hopefully I can help you do a little cleaner job. They didn't have templates or anything when I ordered mine...I did an "ok" job, but wish it was cleaner.

If it was me I would test fit these headers before you had them coated. My sons stock suspension duster needed a few tubes adjusted with a four pound hammer. They were also a pain in the butt to get together after they were coated.

If it was me I would test fit these headers before you had them coated. My sons stock suspension duster needed a few tubes adjusted with a four pound hammer. They were also a pain in the butt to get together after they were coated.
#1 tube needed cut off and completely moved on my HDK setup, so thats why I was asking if he had a rack. Good call on test fitting.

#1 tube needed cut off and completely moved on my HDK setup, so thats why I was asking if he had a rack. Good call on test fitting.

My black duster has a 2 x 3 box frame like they built cars in the 1980’s. I notched my box frame on the passenger side then eventually redid the one tube. Mine are the ones for W2 heads so I ran them with my W2 engine, Indy headed engine, and Edelbrock heads. Adapter plates are on now.

Damnit! I found an uncoated set. Still looking for coated and if all else fails, I'll get the uncoated and send them off to get coated.

***Edit*** I ordered the uncoated set. Was in stock and marked down $80. Now to find somewhere local to coat them!
Call tti, I just had a set built it took about 6 weeks and that was with having them built and then coated. Sometimes it just easier to call them up and talk to them.
Nevermind, I see you ordered something.

Call tti, I just had a set built it took about 6 weeks and that was with having them built and then coated. Sometimes it just easier to call them up and talk to them.
Nevermind, I see you ordered something.

A TTI header will never perform as well as the header he’s looking at. Hedmen headers make horsepower.

They look exactly like mine, only mine are stepped to big tubes.

You don't have a rack do you?...one tube won't work.

I can take some measurements on my fender holes for you. MY holes ended up bigger than I wanted. Hopefully I can help you do a little cleaner job. They didn't have templates or anything when I ordered mine...I did an "ok" job, but wish it was cleaner.
Yes please! Thank you.

I will definitely be test fitting before coating. Good thing I am not afraid to cut, bend or weld.... lol

I have these headers on my stock front suspension demon and didn't cut any tubes or bend.I did buy a 2 1/2" hole saw for the one tube through the inner fenders.
My car went three tenths faster over 1 3/4" tube hookers. Great headers!

I also run the herdman's. They fit well into my 73 duster with a stock front suspension. One tube on each side goes through the inner fender but as long as you don't have a problem cutting the hole, tire clearance is not an issue. I did have to beat the one tube in to clear a 8qt milidon oil pan and the just a little to give more clearance around the oil filter. I ran them for 2 seasons with just paint on them but pulled them over the winter to have the ceramic coated. I'm very happy with them.

I appreciate all the responses guys. Looks like I got the right headers ordered and thank you John for pointing me in the right direction.

Bill

-
Back