Headers that DO fit - and DON'T fit.

-

cudacollins

Reaction score
There was a lot of talk about headers on the site a while back, on what fits and what doesn't fit. I ran across this on another site and just thought I would pass it alone. May save someone alot of anger and time. USE YOUR OWN DISCRETION !!! :-DHeaders that DO fit:

Schumacher:A bodies W/Tri-Y and 440 (High Deck)
Flo Tech:B & E bodies W/big block
Hedman:B & E bodies W/big block P# 78030 & 78038 HD
Hooker:B & E bodies W/small block 1 5/8” comp. 1 ¾” comp #5208
Mopar Performance:B & E bodies W/big block 1 ¾”
TTI:B & E bodies W/small block I ¾” (needs small dimple on one tube)
:banghead:Headers that DON'T fit:

TTI: B-body '62-'65 W/Big Block 2"
HEMI: All
Hooker:B & E bodies W/big block 1 7/8” comp.
B & E bodies W/big block 2” super comp.
TTI:B & E W/big block 1 ¾” (hits IDLER arm)

and time.

I just put Spitfires in my 66 Dart with a 360,they fit no problem and the price was right!($250)shipped.Harold at Spitfire is also making Big Block Mopar headers.Not sure on price for those?

Great, that's why I love this site, someone has a good experience, and passes it along for fellow members ! Add Spitfires to the DO fit list, for '66 Dart 360 motor... Thanks pettybludart

I have a issue with this; Hooker:B & E bodies W/small block 1 5/8” comp. 1 ¾” comp #5208

Theres 2 headers listed here and the Super Comp header with the 1-3/4 pipe has the wrong number I beileve. It's also listed as "Comp" and that is also inaccurate. There "Super Comp". Big difference starting with the wallet crying after paying. (Cheaper than TTI though.)

The regular Comp headers are the one size fits all design like everyone else makes, so fitment can be an issue.

Another example is the Headerss from Summit racing I got went in with zero problems and zero mods for me while my buddy down the block had problems up the GaaaaZoooo. He only ordered them when we put mine in with ease and his was a nightmare central hub.

I'd like to know which ones go below the center link.

It's been a long time since I've messed around with some headers that have the center link that go through the drivers side header, which causes clearance problems.

In the last 20 years I've worked with Hooker Super comps\fenderwell headers and the Schumacher tri-y's under chassis, only on 69 Dart and 71 Duster.

Some 30 years ago I remember having 2 different setups 68 GTX 440 that had headers and the center link went thru the drivers side header; and a 69 Cuda 340 that had the same issue, center link thru the drivers side header. For the life of me I can't remember the brand of either one. Duh....

I did monkey with a set of the old CPPA A body under chassis 2 inch headers and found that I could not use the light weight mini starter, but that was 20 years ago.

Hedman 1 5/8 sb A-body headers fit well.
Alot of members are having many problems with headers that don't fit -"STILL". Post your experience here. Headers are still being produced that "DON"T", (that we innocently keep buying with are hard earned money), and the producers of the "ILL-FITTING" headers gladly keep taking our hard earned money, and keep getting richer ,(laughing all the way to the bank) - - on a product that doesn't fit right or work properly. YOU try that, and see how long you would be in business !! SO post your "BAD, OR GOOD" experiences with headers........ HELP A "FABO" MEMBER OUT !!!!!!!!!!!
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

05-19-2009, 12:53 PM #1
LXguy

Posts: 511 So, TTi says my Hookers are made wrong, are they full of crap?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, I kind of already know they're full of crap, but they blame the headers for the fact that their adapters to run their exhaust system don't fit.

Does anyone think this exit on the passenger side exhaust looks highly unusual?

The TTi piece 'S' curves over to go through the proper place in the crossmember, but is angled such that it totally hits the crossmember instead of passing through the opening. If I have the adapter cut, pipe rotated about 35* and welded back up I'm pretty sure it'll fit, it just seems like a helluva lot of "tolerance" for Hooker to be loose on.

If anyone's got hookers, or even better hookers and the TTi adapters for their system, I'd be curious to hear what you did.

Thanks

Steve

Hey:

My headers are Hooker Comp headers. Part #5901. They fit but they're tight. To get them to sit right in the car I had to loosen all the bolts that hold the motor mounts to the block. Scratched them up, but didn't have to dimple the tubes.

I can get my mini starter in and out with the headers installed. They clear my Kevko pan. I have a Magnum motor and had to grind the hell out of the truck engine mount on the driver's side of the block to get them to fit. Not something you'd want to do in the car.

The center link does go through the driver's side header so they hang kind of low on that side.

Mine are the Hooker Darkside black coated headers. I don't care much for this coating as it scratches off *very easily*. If I had it to do over, I'd fit the headers first, then send them off to be coated. Hooker charges a lot for this coating and it is not good.

I've also had a set of Super Comp headers. I think the install with the Super Comps is much easier than the Comps, even though the tubes are bigger. They hang low also, and the center link goes through BOTH sides, so you have to completely disassemble the steering. Also, did NOT have to grind on the Magnum block to fit the super comps.

All headers except the below mentioned have 3 tubes under the front end steering parts. Add to the list as you see fit since I have not had every make and model header out there.

For the small block A body cars;
TTI
Dougs

Take care on how you quote Steve. Looks like your aiming to piss people off. Not clearly stateing what the issue is in his post looks more like your putting words into his mouth than anything.

Lets keep it A body for the moment.

Also, the manufactures do not allways make perfect headers everytime, though you'd think they have it down to a sci. by now.

I used a set of Dynomax headers for the 360 in my '74 Duster with no problem. Just a tight fit but sits in all in all with no worries.

-
Back