Headers tube diameter.

-
I run IHRA J/CM (crate motor) @ 3,540+ lbs, in which the 360 has better specs than "regular" Stockers. But I've "only" run a best of 11.14 @ 117 on a 12.25 index. (There are some "regular" Stock 340's and 360's as fast as mid-10's.) I also have an NHRA 3,800 lb J/SA 360 Aspen wagon which I'm still sorting out and eventually expecting around 12.00 on a 12.45 index. All VERY rules-restricted.

I somewhat recall an article about Joe Sherman and what was a pretty fast, but possibly somewhat unconventional Nova. But no rules.

Yes, time and budget limit my testing. Custom headers are definitely out of my budget, so off-the-shelf will have to do. It was over 10 years ago that I switched from the 1 7/8 headers that came with my Dart to the TTI 1 5/8"-1 3/4" stepped. All I can say is that if I didn't see a positive difference in my particular application, then i would have switched to 1 7/8" TTIs since then. Although worth considering, to compare them now isn't feasible at this time either . But as mentioned in another thread, adding an X-pipe and UltraFlo mufflers helped what I have. I have heard of a few other fast small block Stockers, that have more time & resources, use TTI stepped, and in some cases cut the original collectors off and installed the merged versions.

I hate to fall back on that old saying that "each combo is different", "your results may vary", but it still does apply, whether it be steps, diameter, collector style, etc. Too many variable for a clear answer for everyone. Racing, like life, if full of compromises and you do the best you can within your limitations. I won't be among the fastest, but I'll get as close as I can.

I've also spoken with some fast Stock racers who have used even smaller primary exit pipes, sometimes actually port matched, but then stepped up 1 or 2 steps, with claimed good results. But even "good" has it's variables. Some Stock racers will be ecstatic with a .05 gain, which can often be within a margin of error to most people. Depends how many variables were taken out of the testing.

As for cam lobes and their relationship with the rest of the combo....I have to rely on the cam companies for specs based on what I have and then adjust the rest around that afterwards looking for gains.

Bottom line is that I barely have enough time to establish baselines and test with what I have, much less to be swapping parts, changing cam specs, etc. But when I do have an opportunity, I do the best I can. I just wouldn't say something helped me if I wasn't sure it did, even with a margin of error.

You are in one of the toughest forms of motorsports there is. I know guys who would sell their wives into sex slave trades for .05 and be glad about it (a little humor for the guys who can't laugh at anything).

You are correct, there is no right way to eat a Reese's. You have to do what gets you from A to B the quickest. If it works for you that is all that counts.

Can anyone recall what type of headers were used in the many small blocks engine swaps into the conquest?

I have a 360 magnum in my 86 conquest, i bought a set of the jegs universal header kits and made my own. 1.75 with 3" collector. Its a tight squeeze, i dont know if i could go any bigger without serious modification. I have also converted the car to a manual rack.

he needs to pick a set of off the shelf headers that fit his cam and heads.

That... We can agree on. But if I were choosing for him, and cost was not an option, I would always go bigger. For most people, even shelf number headers are subject to restraint via budget. The right sized tube, at the right length, will always make more power. But "right" is relative, and fitment the biggest issue. Many confuse throttle response with overall power production. A smaller tube, with mismatched lengths will always be snappier. But that means at idle and low rpm it works great. Not at the engine's power peaks.

I have a 360 magnum in my 86 conquest, i bought a set of the jegs universal header kits and made my own. 1.75 with 3" collector. Its a tight squeeze, i dont know if i could go any bigger without serious modification. I have also converted the car to a manual rack.

Great to hear that..... Any pics of your car and engine bay???

When we built the 426/360 stroker we tested the $136 Summit headers against the TTI step headers. From 3,000-6,000 RPM both headers averaged within two horsepower of each other and only after 6,000 RPM did the TTI show a 10 HP advantage. What horsepower range were we running in? 600HP.

-
Back