Headers

-

Torrance00

Reaction score
Hi
A few years ago a picked up a set of headers from a guy moving out of state.
he said they fit a 318, and that all I know, there are no marking on the headers
if they do fit my 74 dart with 318, what would you suggest for a good sounding
muffler, something not loud but had that nice rumble to it?
and should I run the pipes out the back of the car, behind the rear wheels
in front of the rear wheels? If I do install these I want to do the whole
setup in one day...
Best

If the headers you have are full length and are not either Doug's or TTi you're probably gonna be disappointed.
It's better to run the exhaust all the way to back without turn downs for less cabin noise. TTi sales a complete exhaust kit with or with headers.

I wouldn't use flowmasters because they drone horribly. Why not just listen to some exhaust videos to get a sense of the sound you like. What someone else likes in exhaust tone might drive you crazy and what you like might drive them crazy etc....

Run them out the back , I have Dynomax and they are not bad noise wise , no drone . I'm going to be changing them soon though for some SS mufflers made locally , after 6 years it's time for a change in tunes .

I have Doug Thourly's long tubes with 3" duels with Flowmasters and my car sounds bad as hell. Straight out the back. Don't even notice the drone over the Pioneer Super Tuner, 400 watt amp with Audio Bahn subs

My 72 Dart Swinger has a 74 360 with headers, hedman I believe. They work well and sound awesome with the flowmasters. You really have to listen and judge for yourself. I love the 2.5" flowmasters in my Dart and love the 3" in my K10 even more.

Something important to mention is that my headers have dents purposely put into the tubes to clear the steering shaft. It is tight down there. Second, buy a mini starter before you install the headers. Otherwise you have to unbolt the header and exhaust on the driver side and unto the center link off the tie rod to get the starter out. I think I paid $225 from Summit for mine this summer and it spins the engine over 10x faster than the cheap advance auto rebuild that came with it.

My car sounds super mean for "just a Dart"

Unless youve got an in with a muffler shop, doing it all in one day is ambitious. If you really have to get it done, at home, the TTI system is hard to beat. And for sure get the ministarter. And all the way out the back, with turndowns. I have the 3inch nickel system with dynomaxs. Been on the car since year 1999.The system was expensive to purchase, but in the long run(14+yrs),turned out to be Ok. Pleasantly loud when youre on it,reasonably quiet when not. I cruise at 2200rpm/60mph; no drone. The flanges at the heads have never leaked, nor the gaskets,and the bolts never come loose. The collectors to pipes joints have developed holes on several occasions over the years, which Ive always been able to weld up. It was a 4 seasons daily driver for a few years, in its early life.

I would go with some sort of old style turbo muffler. Those will not give you a headache. Also keep in mind, most states have laws regarding the placement of the exhaust. Usually it states something like "must exit the passenger compartment of the vehicle" or some such. That means turn downs at the rear end are technically not legal and you can be fined regardless of how quiet the car is.

I would go with some sort of old style turbo muffler. Those will not give you a headache. Also keep in mind, most states have laws regarding the placement of the exhaust. Usually it states something like "must exit the passenger compartment of the vehicle" or some such. That means turn downs at the rear end are technically not legal and you can be fined regardless of how quiet the car is.

Would like to add that there is good reason why turndowns under the car are ilegal in alot of places. its not just a stupid law its one that makes alot of sence to avoid killing yourself.

as for mufflers everyone has very different opinions as to what sounds good and what is to loud. even fairly quiet turbomufflers can drone real bad its just a the full combination of the engineparts all the way to the cars gearing and how long the exhaust pipes are that creates this problem but generaly i would say that the Dynomax superturbo mufflers usual has a nice rumble and flow well without being anoying.

-
Back