Headers

-

240 gordy

Reaction score
I have a 69 340 4 speed Dart that is all factory except for a scattershield. Are there any manufacturers that make a header kit that fits without having to disassemble the car any time I want to take them off or put them on.

Nope. STill a *****.
Best fitting are tti or Dougs.

I have a 68 Barracuda M/T with TTIs and NO scattershield. It looks like I could put one in there and still take the headers down as necessary. But as Rumble says....it might be tuff. However, uncoated TTIs last for at least 5 summers and 4 winters, before rust perforates at the merge on the driver side where the salty snow/water collects, and another year or two before the other side needs work.And the gaskets, at least mine have survived 16 years and multiple engine-swaps. (I used to run a teener in the winter).
So my question is, why do you wish to pull them off,from time to time?

I have a 69 340 4 speed Dart that is all factory except for a scattershield. Are there any manufacturers that make a header kit that fits without having to disassemble the car any time I want to take them off or put them on.

Only if you have manual steering. You can use Hooker 5204's.

All headers are a PITA. The Bigger the PITA, the more power it will make AS A GENERAL RULE.

I have a 68 Barracuda M/T with TTIs and NO scattershield. It looks like I could put one in there and still take the headers down as necessary. But as Rumble says....it might be tuff. However, uncoated TTIs last for at least 5 summers and 4 winters, before rust perforates at the merge on the driver side where the salty snow/water collects, and another year or two before the other side needs work.And the gaskets, at least mine have survived 16 years and multiple engine-swaps. (I used to run a teener in the winter).
So my question is, why do you wish to pull them off,from time to time?
Trying to get old ceramic coated one's off, All dented. Just bought the car and am looking at either a new set or going back to factory manifolds

OH, now why didn't you say so! That's making so much more sense now.
The passenger side comes off pretty easy, once the oil filter is off, and the adapter, if used.
The drivers side now, is a different animal. Yeah this involves a bit of work.But you know what, for me headers are totally worth the hassle, on a performance combo. I wouldn't run without them; even if they were just shorties.

Dougs and TTI seem to be alone in the department where you get nice groundclearance and they are also generaly speaking very well made.
Hedman has some larger tube headers that are multi piece that might be a good option if you want to be able to install and uninstall without taking half the car appart to get done.

Just finished my 408 in my 1970 dart. Went with Dougs from autozone with a 20% off coupon and free shipping. Got them under $500.00. passenger side needed torsion bar and drag link out. drivers side needed motor raised and a lot of this and that. Finished product is super. Plugs are easy and oil filter accessible. they also don't hang low so i'm happy but wouldn't want to do it again for a few years. I have a bend-pak lift which helped my old back a bunch. They are necessary for a built engine and man do they sound good!

Another option would be one of the shorty designs. They don't make quite as much power as full length headers but they beat stock manifolds and are fairly easy on and off

I've got a set of 1 7/8" Heddman Huslers on my 69 340 Swinger. Scattershield, deep oil pan and 90 degree filter adapter. They my a little lower then I like, but so does the 8qt Milodon pan. They're a 2 piece, header and they were put on back in the 70s when my dad still owned the car. Still have the original gaskets on the flange!

Yeah those pans like to catch stuff. I got tired of welding up the cracks and finally built a skid-plate.....now I shear the bolt-heads off....KIDDING! I'm not that low. The 1.03 bars help to keep me off the bump-stops.

Luckily I've never caught them on anything yet! Put a set of Heddmans on my 86 W250 recently. They fit great, don't leak and I really like the ball/socket flange for the collector. Had 2 el cheapo bolts fall completely out before I put lock washers on. They still didn't leak. Heddmans are hard to beat for the money.

-
Back