Headers

-

kickywow

Reaction score
i bought my exhaust kit that bolts to headers, and have manifolds, so im buying headers and need to know how to install them, do I unbolt engine, and raise it up or will they just slide in? the engine is a 318ci.

What are they going in? If its an abody theres alot of work the steering linkage has to come apart as it goes thru the driverside hedder

Very good ibstructions are included with the headers. Just remember to choke the wheels and disconnect the battery. Have a buddy for this. One that has been there and done that is worth alot.

They arrr going in my 71 dart swinger... steering linkage has to come apart?

ya i did this on my 70 dart. i had to raise the engine a couple inches, take the steering apart because it goes through the drivers side header like mr.318 said, also had to remove my starter. its definatly a ***** gettin the starter back in afterwards. and yes having a friend or whoever there with you is a great idea. you push them in from underneath, and he or she pulls from above.

what kind of headers are you installing? i installed Hooker Comps and the idler arm rubbed, as well as that square coupling on my steering shaft going into my steering box?

i believe they are hedman im not too sure getting them off a friend, they were only used once, gonna try putting them in tonight...

Good luck. Try putting the starter in when the car is in the air and the headers losely bolt on. This can help with some wiggle room.

so i need some definitvie answers,

Starter- on or off
Engine unboltled- yes or no
and if so which engine mount bolts do i take off the one big one or the 4 smaller ones(on each side)
unbolt tranny from cross member?

trying to finish the car for next friday!

take the starter off, and unbolt the engine from the motor mounts. leave the brackets (they are the ones with the 4 bolts) on your engine, but unbolt either from the top side or bottom side of your motor mount (the rubber type one with the larger nut on top and bottom). i unbolted from the bottom so when you lower the engine afterwards you can guide it back into place if needed.
you will need to raise the engine, either with a hoist, or putting a jack underneath and jacking up under the oil pan. i did the oil pan method with a piece of wood between the jack and pan, since my hoist was occupied elsewhere, but just be gentle if you go that route.
you don't need to unbolt your tranny but maybe just loosen the mounts so you have a little bit of play without stressing the tranny crossmember.
make sure the car is high off the ground, because you will need to guide the headers in from underneath. the passenger side is simple to get in, but the drivers side you will probably want to get help, have someone pull from above while you try to guide it in from underneath.
once they are in you will need to variate from lowering the engine back in, to moving the headers around, to get them in place.
to get the starter back in you will want to have your headers unbolted, and your steering still taken apart. you may have to pry it in a bit, as its a tight fit.
then bolt the headers tight with gaskets, and put your steering back together. dont forget to make sure if your steering wheel is all the way left, to have your spindles turned to the left, so your pitman arm will go back on using the correct grooves (if you took it off).

hope that makes sense and helps

You have to take the spark plugs out too. I usually put the rear wheels on ramps and the front of the car up on jack stands. The car needs to be raised pretty high because the headers go in from the bottom on an angle.

You have to take the spark plugs out too. I usually put the rear wheels on ramps and the front of the car up on jack stands. The car needs to be raised pretty high because the headers go in from the bottom on an angle.

you had to take the plugs right out? oh. i didnt have to take mine out, but hey if it gives more clearance than ya you may as well, since there isnt much clearance in there anyways

thats all super helpful im gonna try again tonight! im 18 and really have no clue on how to do any of this.

Might want to get a mini starter for future issues.

I just did hedmans in my cuda.

I had manual steering and had to dent the header pipe where it met the steering box lower mounting bolt and I ground the bolt down a bit so I did not have to dent the tube any firther.

I also had to ding the tube a bit on the drivers side torsion bar area.

Get a set of hex bolts and get rid of the studs in the heads, but make sure you put silicone on the bolts where the studs came out so coolant does not leak from those bolts.

It's much easier to unbolt the motor mount bolts on the bottom of the mounts and have a engine hoist to help with installation, makes it much more friendly.

You may also want to soak some P/B blaster into the tie rod ends, pittman, and aidler arm joints for easier pickle fork removal unles you have a trick removal tool that does not have to be hammered.

i just rebuilt my front end so everything popped right out, but you may not be so lucky if you have older parts in there.

Are TTI's just as tough ? Any recommendations on a leak free seal (gasket type) ?

If you have the cash :blob:get yourself a new mini,:thumleft:
Seems I have installed headers and the starter gave up on me from the new heat, do it while you are there if you can.:read2:
When the headers are on it is a bit hardere to change it out,But Mopar starters seem to keep going.:thumleft:

And reamember to do the battery post fist.:cheers:

How 'bout remember to disconnect the positive cable from the battery first before touching a starter :cheers: ? I've got a few funny "burn" marks on my wrenches from some idiot (that would be me) not taking this step first. Duh.

-
Back