Headlight Grill Surround Help

-

67ragtop

Reaction score
I just finished new rivets, clips and paint for the grills on my 67 Barracuda. When I went to mount the headlight buckets into the fender area there was nothing to mount to. There was just a rectangular whole in the fender.
I found the little plastic grommet that pushes into the fender for the top screw. Now here are my questions: 1. Does a 1968 Barracuda fender have the same plastic grommet because if so someone glassed over mine. 2.What secures the inner top screw and the bottom screw a u clip??? If so, it does not look like I have any where to put the clip for the top inner whole.

I'd drill a hole and use either another clip if I could fit one, or use an appropriate screw if the clip has nothing to secure to.

I'm sure you can Magiver something, and nobody will ever see what is behind there.

I took the car apart 17 years ago and cannot remember what goes there. The header panel is solid so everything is there I just need to know how or what it clips to.

I remember one of my holes had an elongated threaded plastic insert that accepted a screw and the other holes had U-clips.

I have been looking through my pictures to try to find one with a good, bare close up of my headlight bucket area.

Someone else may have a good pic of theirs, but I will keep looking.

Maybe this will help......... It's my '67.
Btw..... let's see those grills.

100_0684.jpg

I need to see how the inner screw attaches to the car after it goes through the surround. Maybe I am missing the part where the clip attaches. If that is what is needed.

Grill Surrounds 002.JPG

I see there is a u clip that I need for the lower screw. Anybody got pics of what is needed for the top inner.

It takes a clip as well. I can get more pics if you need them.
And if I'm not posting pics of the right things, I apologize.

100_0687-1.jpg

Too many hours on the car to be thinking straight. I was trying to line up the headlight part before I put the rest of the surrounds in. I couldn't figure out what it bolted to. First thing this morning, I looked at the freshly painted grill surround and bucket and realized the bucket bolted into the grill brackets not the header/fender. Someone did cover the rectangular slot in the fender for the plastic grommet so I will tackle that today. Thanks again for all your help guys. This site will keep me going!

For future reference, the end section of the grille is called headlight door or headlight service door. Some call it a bezel.
The attaching screws should be stainless.
The headlight bucket (wont hold water LOL) has 1 spring and 2 adjusters holding it to the headlight house which is pat of the fender.

-
Back