Headlight switch removal. release button not working, 1965 Cuda

-

rick1062

Reaction score
I am trying to remove my headlight switch on a 1965 Barracuda. I see there is a push button on the top of the switch that should release the stem and knob. But I have been pushing that button like crazy while pulling on the knob, and it won't release. So, is there more to it, or tricks I could try?

Getting pretty frustrated. I don't mind breaking the switch if needed as long as I can save the stem and knob. Looks like the switches are pretty available.

Any ideas..... ?

Thanks as always,

Rick

Pull the button out till it stops,, then press release button,, and pull it out the rest of the way,,..

cheers

I hate it when things don't work like they're supposed to. I've had to fight to get a few of those switches out before. On some of them I had to repeatedly push the release button (wiggle it) in and out as I pushed the knob in and out at the same time before it let loose.

I hate it when things don't work like they're supposed to. I've had to fight to get a few of those switches out before. On some of them I had to repeatedly push the release button (wiggle it) in and out as I pushed the knob in and out at the same time before it let loose.

And even twist it back and forth while pulling it out. :D
That seems to work best for me.

Hold the button in while pushing the shaft in and out and twisting it and it will.come out eventually..... Some are frustrating.

Sounds kind of dirty.

I finally found a more complete answer about how to remove the headlight stem removal, so the headlight switch can be removed. (The info came from another forum.) The tip I got worked perfectly the first time with no jerking pulling or beating my head against the ground. It is so simple it sounds stupid, but made all the difference. So here it is:

1. BEFORE pushing the release button, pull the switch all the way out to the headlights on position.

2. Let go of the knob. (The headlights on position puts the stem lock in the correct position to line up with the release button.)

3. Now, push the release button down and hold it.

4. Then pull on the knob and the stem will come right out with ease.

If you do as I did and just push the release button and start jerking on the knob, the stem can run right past the release position and stay locked. If we try long enough and hard enough, stem will finally usually come out. Sometimes with ease, sometimes with major frustration. The simple step of putting the switch in the headlights on position, then pushing the release made all the difference, at least for me.

I finally found a more complete answer about how to remove the headlight stem removal, so the headlight switch can be removed. (The info came from another forum.) The tip I got worked perfectly the first time with no jerking pulling or beating my head against the ground. It is so simple it sounds stupid, but made all the difference. So here it is:

1. BEFORE pushing the release button, pull the switch all the way out to the headlights on position.

2. Let go of the knob. (The headlights on position puts the stem lock in the correct position to line up with the release button.)

3. Now, push the release button down and hold it.

4. Then pull on the knob and the stem will come right out with ease.

If you do as I did and just push the release button and start jerking on the knob, the stem can run right past the release position and stay locked. If we try long enough and hard enough, stem will finally usually come out. Sometimes with ease, sometimes with major frustration. The simple step of putting the switch in the headlights on position, then pushing the release made all the difference, at least for me.

Ahh,, that'd be post #2.. lol

cheers

If you ever hand to drill out the brads to take the switch off the stem, you would see all this. There's a very thin piece of steel inside with a teardrop or keyhole opening. The tapered point of the stem should guide it right in, so pushing the button at install is not correct. Reason being, without stem in the hole the thing can move farther than it needs to, then forcing the point of the stem against it where its solid distorts the heck out of it. It's serving as the only stop every time the switch is pulled also distorts it over time. Most cases I do find the sweet spot where the stem does come out. The hard way ( my first statement ), I've done once.

I usually push the button and wiggle the hell out of it if it's stubborn. I will eventually let loose. I've never had one that didn't come out.

-
Back