headlight switch woes

-

CUDAGUY

aka Prince Valiant
Reaction score
Ive got a new switch, but I cant remove the knob of the old one to get it out of the dash....

any suggestions?

There is a little button on the switch. Push that while you pull the knob out. The shaft and knob will come out together.

Chuck

Look at the new switch and you'll see the little button the other two replies are talking about.

Take the dash cluster out and use a mirror and a light to see it . Then you will just have to feel for it , I just did one and it is not all that easy but can be done .

Steve

There is only1 screw holding the fusebox between your hand and that button.
Disconnect the neg. battery cable if you haven't already.

Disconnect the battery first, then tape a penny to your thumb, index finger or middle finger (whichever will give you the most leverage on the release button as installed). The button requires a very hard push; hold it in and give the headlamp knob a hard jerk. You may have to try a few times before it pops out.

the button is fully pressed in and even a slide hammer wont take the knob out. what now?

I had one that required a lot of jiggling and pushing of the button and pulling and pushing of the handle, like you're trying to open a lock with a worn out key. Eventually the sweet spot will bounce around and voila it would pop out.

the penny on the thumb is a great idea!wow 6 hours you are more patient than me.I have had real stubborn ones also i basically took a break and tried again twist the hell out of it it should come out good luck

Before you push the button in pull the headlight knob all of the way out, like if you were turning on the headlights then push the button in.

Chuck

Before you push the button in pull the headlight knob all of the way out, like if you were turning on the headlights then push the button in.

Chuck
Yup, disconnect battery, pull light knob out to headlights on position, depress button, pull out knob with shaft. A gallon or two of WD40 doesn't hurt either!
Thanks, Mark

Chuck

I couldent even do that, I finaly got pissed off and went to town with a 5lb slide hammer......It was VERY crusty when it finaly came out. I saved the bezel, dash and wiring from any harm but marred the knob a little, but atleast it works now. Thanks for the help guys.

now the headlights dont work, marker lights do, but no headlights. Any common 'weak link' between the switch and the lights themselves?

now the headlights dont work, marker lights do, but no headlights. Any common 'weak link' between the switch and the lights themselves?

Yeah, the wiring. Did you take a careful, close look at the plug before installing it onto the new switch? If the wire terminal has spread or popped out of the plastic housing, it won't make contact with the switch terminal. Also make sure the 3-wire plug is firmly plugged onto the high/low beam kickswitch on the floor.

Did the headlights work before you put in a new switch?

dont know, I could never get the knob to pull out, I will check it out next week when I have a few days off.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet in this thread, but install 2 relays in the engine compartment for the high and low beams, you will not regret it.

-
Back