Headliner bow removal

-

mkayers

Reaction score
Did some searching & couldn't find anything. What's the easiest way to take the headliner bows out of a 1970 Swinger? I'm trying to take the headliner out with the bows still in it. Do you bend the clips down or take the clips out or something? The bows don't seem to move very easy. Thanks guys, if it wasn't for this site I would be screwed.

After removing the appropriate trim and pulling the fabric away from the serrations you should have no problem removing the headliner while leaving the bows in place. The ends just sit in little pockets.

i just put a headliner in. i dont think that you will be able to reuse it if thats your goal. may as well cut it and make an easy job of it.

One suggestion, don't leave the rear window down when playing with the bows. I was installing mine on my dart(after the paint) and was not watching the other end of the bow that was scratching the paint while I was on the other end. Still have a couple of nice scratches in the clearcoat. LOL, sometimes I just gotta laugh at my mistakes.....also on mine (1963) the headliner has a loop that runs all the way across and the bow goes inside it to keep the liner up. That may be why they are not moving easily.

Removed the liner front and back from the metel teeth that hold it. Then the bows will bend down slightly to let you take each end of the bow out of their holders. The last bow at the mack of the car will have two or three wires connected from the bow to the roww to hold them in the proper position, these just pull out of the car roof I believe. They are quiete fine but you will see them when you release the headliner and all the bows and let it hang down.

The bows pivot in those pockets allowing the headlinner to umbrella (for lack of a better term). Once the headlinner is released at edges you can pull it forward or back and the bows will move and loosen some. That's how the factory put it up there afterall.

-
Back