headliner

-

famous bob

mopar misfit
Reaction score
anyone have a good idea, or knowledge of what it costs to have a headliner put in a stock volare station wagon ??

No idea but would be pertinent for the early A wagon's as well.

If the front glass has to be removed it will cost a little more, then you might also replace the gasket while you have the windshield out. I just had the headliner replaced in my daughter's Studebaker Silver Hawk. I bought the headliner (pre-made) $180 then paid a windshield guy $200 to remove and replace the front and back glass (with new gaskets) to properly install the headliner then $250 for the headliner (labor) installation.
So I would say between $400 and $475 because you don't have to worry about the back glass. After they removed the old headliner I scrapped off all the old degraded padding that the factory had stuck to the roof then brushed on some undercoat then installed some stick-on insulated padding to help the car stay cool (I live in a very hot climate).

treblig

I have a headliner that I am going to install in my 65 barracuda. Stopped in at a local upholstery shop who advertises they do headliners. They will only do the modern ones now. The old style is to difficult.

A volare should have the modern type which is basically a heavy gauge card board or thin fiberglass board with perforated vynil or a felt glued to it.

Usually the card board gets moist and softens and then droops down and separates from the vynil or felt over years.

Any upholstry shop should carry these materials by the foot.

There are no headliner bows like the old cars so shouldnt need to remove the windshield. But even if you did, there is no gasket. It should have the modern type bonded windshield which attaches with urathene......which i actually prefer to work with because the "piano wire" cuts right through it making it easy to remove and install.

Labor cost to install shouldn't be more than 100 bucks not sure on the material.

Labor cost to install shouldn't be more than 100 bucks not sure on the material.
thanks for the input. Haven`t heard back from the guy yet, he wants $200 more than I`m willing to pay. I don`t have a clue as to what the original was.

Was going by what I paid to have the headliner installed in my 69' bee and the guy came out to the house and done it.

A volare should have the modern type which is basically a heavy gauge card board or thin fiberglass board with perforated vynil or a felt glued to it.

Usually the card board gets moist and softens and then droops down and separates from the vynil or felt over years.

Any upholstry shop should carry these materials by the foot.

There are no headliner bows like the old cars so shouldnt need to remove the windshield. But even if you did, there is no gasket. It should have the modern type bonded windshield which attaches with urathene......which i actually prefer to work with because the "piano wire" cuts right through it making it easy to remove and install.
rani, did u rebuild one ?

-
Back